PDA

View Full Version : Memory

G-Boy
02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
More of a question than a problem, I hope. I have Win ME 512mg RAM. When i boot up windows and all my normal start up programs are loaded, my system has about 80% system resources free. As i use programs eg Spybot Adaware, email, games ect, then finish using them and close them all of my system resources get down to normally between 65 to 70%, but it never seems to recover from this, it never gets back to the 80% i started with, even though im only running what the system booted up with. And another thing is under System/ proformance/memory/ it only shows up as 480Megs Ram, not 512?? My computer seems to run fine, is this all just normal??

Murray P
02-05-2005, 07:57 PM
What video system are you using, onboard? That would eplain the repoeted memory. If you can tweake that up a bit in BIOS, your video performance should increase a bit.

Do you have MS office? If so, consider preventing OSA.exe which efrom starting at startup (Start > Run type msconfig.exe, in the resulting box go the the Startup tab and uncheck OSA.exe. Whether you find OSA.exe will depend on Office version, later versions use the name OSA9.exe and, I think, MOSA.exe.

Also Find Fast or Fast Find is a resource hog.

What other programmes do you have listed in the start up tab?

Tukapa
02-05-2005, 07:57 PM
In my limited experience this is normal. Windows never gives back all of the memory when apps are shut down. The reason your memory shows as only 480MB is most likely cos your system is taking 32MB of the memory for the onboard graphics. 480 + 32 = 512 so there it all is.

Of course I could be completely wrong and somebody may tell me so!

Prescott
02-05-2005, 08:02 PM
how much memory have you supplied to your graphics?

G-Boy
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
What video system are you using, onboard? That would eplain the repoeted memory. If you can tweake that up a bit in BIOS, your video performance should increase a bit.

Do you have MS office? If so, consider preventing OSA.exe which efrom starting at startup (Start > Run type msconfig.exe, in the resulting box go the the Startup tab and uncheck OSA.exe. Whether you find OSA.exe will depend on Office version, later versions use the name OSA9.exe and, I think, MOSA.exe.

Also Find Fast or Fast Find is a resource hog.

What other programmes do you have listed in the start up tab?

Hi murray, I have a intergated 32meg G-Force 2, How do i tweak that up as you say.? I also just noticed in the system imformation it says "total physical memory 479.43 Mb" "Available Physical memory 231.58 MB" The only things in start up are... System restore, Avg, system tray,KB891711??, and my firewall. No no microsoft office.

G-Boy
02-05-2005, 08:32 PM
how much memory have you supplied to your graphics?

What ?Ay?? how do i do that??...lol

tweak'e
03-05-2005, 10:46 AM
the video ram is a bios setting tho its proberly on max amount allready.

have you done the 512meg fix? if not try this tool (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=308)

Rob99
03-05-2005, 11:05 AM
And a few more tools here (http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwmemory.html)

tweak'e
03-05-2005, 11:15 AM
free ram, ram cleaners, ram defrag tools are just a waste of space. whats the point of spending $$$ on ram and then not useing it? even with cacheman don't bother with the ram recovery, set it to NOT run at start up. you only need to tweak the settings to fix the problem caused by having large amounts of ram. (only applies to 9x/me)