PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Classic

Cicero
02-05-2005, 07:38 PM
I seem to have aquired Media Player Classic,in the past it has worked all right,of late I am getting the message.....Cannot render files.
Problem is I can't find it anywhere to delete it.
It is not part of windows media player,is it? ,

bob_doe_nz
02-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Do you mean.

Windows media player thats integrated with Windows

or

Media player classic that you can download from the net?

Cicero
02-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Do you mean.

Windows media player thats integrated with Windows

or

Media player classic that you can download from the net?
Not sure,it just appeared.It's the small app that my guess is the one that you download.
Can't see it in add and remove etc.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Windows Media player 6.4 is installed by default in XP.

If this is the version, you're talking about. Windows Media 9 or 10 rely on it for something. And no it doesnt appear in Add/remove programs.

imarubberducky
02-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Windows includes two media players, both called Windows Media Player, confusingly enough. The first, most common one, is WMP 7, 8, 9 or 10 (depending if you update your computer), the new versions have burning functions, visualisations etc etc. The second one is the old school version (6.4) that probably is the same from windows 95/98, this is often refered to as WMP Classic (which we'll call WMP 6.4), which then is confused with a different but very simmilar Media Player Classic (which we'll call MPC)

I'd be assuming u were using MPC, if it called itself MPC, but if you are using WMP 6.4, then it shouldnt b showing up in add/remove, because its intergrated with windows. You shouldnt remove it if it is WMP 6.4

if it is MPC and u cant remove it, you could try downloading it again:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/, and then c it it appears in add/remove

i'd say the problem about rendering files would be more to do with your codecs though, do u hav the latest Xvid and DivX codec installed? And have you installed any codec packs (k-lite codec pack etc) recently?

bob_doe_nz
02-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Well the only thing I can think of is ask someone else who has also got this program. That way we can find the name of the executable and the folder its located in. Hopefully there is also an uninstall exe in the same folder

Terry Porritt
02-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Media Player Classic is installed when you install Real Alternative, or the Quicktime Alternative.

It looks similar to Windows Media Player when viewed in its "skin mode".

Is that what you mean?

Cicero
03-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Media Player Classic is installed when you install Real Alternative, or the Quicktime Alternative.

It looks similar to Windows Media Player when viewed in its "skin mode".

Is that what you mean?
Looks like this.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/cicero1520/picture003.bmp

Rob99
03-05-2005, 01:07 AM
It probally came aboard when I put AceMegaCodecs pack on, it should be able to view a few different formats that wont go in WMP. It is so small you wont gain any space by deleting it, altho you can delete the shortcut if you like.
AceMegaCodecs should allow you to view most files in WMP.

Cicero
03-05-2005, 01:25 AM
It probally came aboard when I put AceMegaCodecs pack on, it should be able to view a few different formats that wont go in WMP. It is so small you wont gain any space by deleting it, altho you can delete the shortcut if you like.
AceMegaCodecs should allow you to view most files in WMP.

Problem is Rob,it always trys to open all videos I want to watch and all I get is...
Cannot render files.I think it has become corrupt,so thought I would delete and use usual media player (windows)

Rob99
03-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Right click on the file you want to open with WMP then select Open With...

Even if you see it in the list chose the last option - Choose Program...
Then select Windows Media Player and tick the box that says "Always use this select program to open this kind of file"

sal
03-05-2005, 01:34 AM
I'll assume it's Media Player Classic. It's usually bundled with codec packs and is a single executable.

It's not exactly installed since it's a single executable, but it does make some entries in the registry ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Gabest] and [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Gabest]).

The file you want to look for is mplayerc.exe. You might find it with the Windows search function. I'd recommend keeping it since it's only 4 MB's and a great slim media player (its my default).

If MPC doesnt play certain files, then WMP won't either because WMP uses the same codecs that MPC would.

Rob99
03-05-2005, 01:43 AM
If MPC doesnt play certain files, then WMP won't either because WMP uses the same codecs that MPC would.Good point.

What is the file you are trying to view Cicero?

Terry Porritt
03-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Looks like this.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/cicero1520/picture003.bmp

Using my microscopic vision, that player is not "Media Player Classic", it is the normal Windows Media Player viewed in skin mode. So the MPC is a red herring in this case.

Cicero
03-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Good point.

What is the file you are trying to view Cicero?
I think I have a major prob here Rob.
I used one of those reg cleaners and accidental deleted what I shouldn't,so now have corrupt files all over the place.
So a reformat has become the only way out.
Trying to remember what I have to do,only done it once b4,for the same reason,will I ever learn?
Thank you all,Terry you need a new microscope,I will agree image was pathetic.

Rob99
03-05-2005, 11:35 AM
will I ever learn?Hmmmm... better not answer.

You just have to track down all your files you want saved and burn them to a disc.

Put your windows CD in and follow the prompts.

Cicero
03-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Hmmmm... better not answer.

You just have to track down all your files you want saved and burn them to a disc.

Put your windows CD in and follow the prompts.
Righto,just sit by your phone for a week or so.

Metla
03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Make sure you have a copy of your drivers on hand before you start,and your install key.

Also pays to make a note of your dialup settings if your on that system, I always fire up outlook express and export all the accounts and the Address book, makes putting that data back in much quicker.

Cicero
03-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Make sure you have a copy of your drivers on hand before you start,and your install key.

Also pays to make a note of your dialup settings if your on that system, I always fire up outlook express and export all the accounts and the Address book, makes putting that data back in much quicker.

Thanks Met,all noted.
Just hope I have all drivers required.
I tend to find out the hard way. ;)

Metla
03-05-2005, 12:34 PM
I would take the oputunity to download all the latest drivers for your hardware if I was you.

Nothing as crisp as a brand new install with the latest drivers.

Cicero
03-05-2005, 12:35 PM
There is one thing I wondered about.
When I put XP disc in,it tells me I have a more up to date XP than the disc,does that refer to updates SP2 etc?

Rob99
03-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Driver Genius can be had here (http://www.tucows.com/preview/335348.html), you dont need to buy it as you will only run it once to back up all the drivers.

Terry Porritt
03-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Before re-installing XP plus all the updates SP2 etc, why not try just installing Windows Media Player over the top of itself and see if things come right?

Murray P
03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Your registry cleaner should make a backup of the registry, by default, before any changes are made. Why not open up the registry cleaner and restore the deleted registry keys/values. You can have another, more cautious, crack at it once you have your functionality back.

Cicero
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Gentlemen,I thank you for suggestions.
It is at least 2 years since I did reformat and now have this urge to take the plunge and cleanse the computer of the bad habits I may have taught it.

Rob99
03-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Just make sure you are 200% sure you have backed up all your files. I have a 200gig external harddrive you can borrow. Makes it eaiser to back everything up.

autechre
04-05-2005, 03:24 PM
A simple solution to this (if it is MPC that you are talking about) is to reinstall the codec pack.

I have got the same errors before with MPC, mainly with Quicktime or Realmedia files and a reinstall or upgrading to a newer version has fixed it.