PDA

View Full Version : Cannot PING Server

Stocky
02-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I recently set up a new network (Server and two workstations, plus 4-port router).

The Server is running Windows Server 2003 SP1
The workstations are using Windows XP SP2
The router is a 4 port 10/100.

The IP addresses are all fixed in the 192.168.0.x range and each machine has a subnet of 255.255.255.0.

The server can ping everything - itself, both the PCs and the router.
The PCs can ping themselves, each other and the router, however, neither PC can ping or see the server.

The router has been replaced with a switch - same result
The Server's on board network card has been disabled and replaced with a PC card by different manufacturer - same result

It seems that everything I try does not work. Any thoughts?

Graham L
02-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Has the server's security been set to allow access from other nodes? The hardware bviously works, so swapping it won't help.

It will be something very simple. Is there an "echo" service (MS will call that something else) running to make the server respond to pinging?. Is there any other service running on the server so the clients can see it?

gibler
02-05-2005, 05:46 PM
I believe that SP1 for windows 2003 server has the built in firewall and that by default it blocks all icmp if turned on.

Stocky
03-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Gibler - I have totally disabled all firewall activity on the server - same result.

Graham L - I am looking into the security aspects now (I assume you mean IPSEC)

I am pretty familiar with Server 2003 and control about 25 servers running that at the moment from a work point of view. This network is a small network at home, set up to allow self training on some of the more esoteric aspects of Server 2003. Unfortunately I need the server access to provide facilities for my home PCs.

Because I can't see the server from my local workstations, I cannot set up all the other standard stuff - A/D, DNS, DHC etc, so I need to get the PING operational before trying anything else.

lars
05-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm facing the same problem here. Server (win2003) with two LANcards. I can ping one of them but cannot ping the orther. Firewall is disabled for the moment. I'm sarching for two days now... All suggestions are very welcome.
We got four servers running now and it's the first time I cannot solve this one...

:help: Thanx! :thumbs:

ninja
05-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Check gateways and subnet masks.

lars
05-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Check gateways and subnet masks.

Gateways and subnet masks are OK. In fact the server is running OK (AD, DHCP, DNS, Routering and RAS ...) except for one thing (janaserver) so I tried to ping the two cards and one doesn't respond (192.168.0.1), the other does. From server to client pinging is no problem, from client to server it is.
I compared the settings with an other server and I can't find any relevant differences...

Stocky
10-05-2005, 09:32 AM
I have now solved my problem.

As I mentioned previously, this server has been set up as a "test" environment to allow me to trial and experiment with different products and not affect our production network.

The server is loaded with Windows 2003 SP1 software; it is a domain controller; has Microsoft SQL server; DNS; DHCP; WINS etc running. I have also installed the latest Microsoft's IAS server to allow the box to act as a proxy server and firewall in addition to its other tasks.

The problem was with the IAS server software, it seems that the firewall MUST be configured to allow connectivity to the client PCs; by default it blocks virtually all traffic. This was preventing ping request and (of course) connection to the domain by the client workstations.

A simple change to the IAS configuration solved the problem. Be careful when dealing with the local network - even though the server's IP address was in the set range for the local network, IAS failed to recognise it and I had to set it specifically as the local host!!!

Graham L
10-05-2005, 04:53 PM
So it was all working perfectly, and doing what it was told. Unusual. :rolleyes:

Just very good security, preventing any naughty behaviour. Just as a byproduct it was preventing any other sort of behaviour. That's nearly as effective as a pair of sidecutters.

Stocky
17-05-2005, 09:17 AM
I guess it is being politically correct. I don't care who you are, what you do, when you want to do it or even how you do it - you cant!!!

bestoption
28-05-2005, 02:45 AM
I am having a very similar problem after making my Windows 2003 Server a Domain controller after installing Acive Directory. Not sure if AD install would cause another firewall to get enabled which would block 'ping' to this server by any other machine within the internal network. This Server can ping all the other machines just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graham L
28-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Welcome to PF1.

It is quite likely to be a changed security setting, or a modified list of running services.

As for the details ... surely there's someone using this software. ;)

Stocky
31-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Yes, I am. My server is a domain controller using active directory (obviously). It has DNS, DHCP, WINS and all the standard stuff you would expect on a Server that is the only one in a small network.

I also installed Microsoft's ISA server to provide proxy and firewalling capability. Bear in mind, this is a small network designed to simulate parts of the larger network I use at work, so I can become familiar with the various Microsoft products, experiment and troubleshoot.

The issue I faced was the ISA server. It was installed in its default configuration and unfortunately that "blocked" several classes of network messages and required the correct configuration before things would work.

The main issue was that the server (tagged as Local Host) was not recognised as being a member of the local network. It was, but who knows why, perhaps the local host overrides the local network settings. Basically, the configuration rules were set up based on the local network which did not seem to get applied to the local host for some reason.

The fix was to include the local host in the rules that allowed pings, DNS etc. Once that was done - everything worked as normal.