PDA

View Full Version : S Video to TV

Winston001
01-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Apologies in advance. I'm sure I saw a recent thread on how to get a PC to display on a TV set. But searching says "TV" is too short to find.

Anyway, my laptop has an s-video plug so I connected it to the TV with an s-video to AV cable.

Nothing showed on TV - nadda. What should I do please?

Metla
01-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Did you select the AV channel on your TV?

theother1
01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
This is the thread you were looking for Winston http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=55518

I will watch yours with interest as I still haven't got mine working.

Winston001
01-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks Met. Fair question. To be accurate I used the AV input on the VCR, which I tested by running the camcorder to ensure the signal was going through. Showed up on TV as normal.

Perhaps the cable? It came supplied with the camcorder. In fact I've just looked at it and suspect it will only supply a signal to the camera because the other end is a small composite AV plug - which fits into the camera. No such sized plug on the TV, VCR, or DVD player.

I'll test to see if I can see the PC screen on the camera.

whetu
01-05-2005, 11:40 PM
first of all make sure your tv is set to AV with S-Video, many will autodetect and self configure, but some tv's require you to manually define what type of input it is dealing with. refer to your tv's manual to find out more.

secondly, some laptops wont do both the lcd and tv out at the same time, most laptops will have a Fn + Fx (Fx is usually F4 or F5) key combination that will allow you to switch and select which output to use. refer to your laptop's manual to find out more.

good luck

godfather
02-05-2005, 07:32 AM
first of all make sure your tv is set to AV with S-Video, many will autodetect and self configure, but some tv's require you to manually define what type of input it is dealing with. refer to your tv's manual to find out more.

secondly, some laptops wont do both the lcd and tv out at the same time, most laptops will have a Fn + Fx (Fx is usually F4 or F5) key combination that will allow you to switch and select which output to use. refer to your laptop's manual to find out more.

good luck
But he is using the AV input on the VCR, so no additional "setting" on the TV is needed?

There is an additional issue, that the "S-Video" port on the Laptop may require a special cable, it's often not a standard S-Video. Count the pins on the plug and the holes in the socket, chances are that there are more holes in the socket?

The above applies if you are using S-Video to RCA, and the "AV in" on the VCR. There is no direct S-Video to AV conversion, it requires an adapter cable. The extra connections on the laptop S-Video proprietary socket may be the true AV (RCA) connections, but a normal S-Video cable has no matching pins.

Winston001
02-05-2005, 03:05 PM
There is an additional issue, that the "S-Video" port on the Laptop may require a special cable, it's often not a standard S-Video. Count the pins on the plug and the holes in the socket, chances are that there are more holes in the socket?

The above applies if you are using S-Video to RCA, and the "AV in" on the VCR. There is no direct S-Video to AV conversion, it requires an adapter cable. The extra connections on the laptop S-Video proprietary socket may be the true AV (RCA) connections, but a normal S-Video cable has no matching pins.

Most prescient GF. That was the next detail I was going to announce. The cable plug has 4 pins but the laptop has 7 holes. So this means yet another cable? :(

Rob99
02-05-2005, 04:22 PM
The cable plug has 4 pins but the laptop has 7 holes. So this means yet another cable? :(Or the short cable that should have come with the laptop.

Winston001
02-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Or the short cable that should have come with the laptop.

I am a truely lucky man Rob. Cables coming out my ears. RJ45 (whatever) for dial-up, USB for camera, audio out to AV, USB mouse to PS2 adaptor, headphone/mic, spare laptop mouse,......................................but nothing which looks like S video.

Tried to do a search on the laptop but nothing remotely helpful.