PDA

View Full Version : 2 years of emails have vanished

fritz
01-05-2005, 05:23 PM
My email messages (1600) go back to the year 2000. All of a sudden from one day to the next the last 2 years of mails have disappeard. (Using Outlook Express - OS: Windows XP) I suspect the problem is due to overloading as I had such a large number of mails in my Inbox. They have not accidentally been deleted as nothing shows up in the "Deleted Items" folder. Surely they must be hidden away somewhere in my computer. Any help to retrieve them would be greatly appreciated. - Thanks

johnboy
01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
do a search for .dbx files
hth

kjaada
01-05-2005, 06:46 PM
if you find them in .dbx format you may need an app to convert them so they can be read.1600 emails was taking up a whopping amount in yr mail box.????

LucyL
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Recently had to fix a computer with much the sort of problems - several hundred huge photo files stored within Outlook express!!

Outlook express just can't handle storing files like this and spits the dummy and stops working.

Find your mail box

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

maybe copy or move them to somewhere else so you can find them easily to work with them.

Use this utility (http://mail-repair.com/) to extract the files and save them somewhere else away from Outlook Express.

Hope this helps

Cheers Lucy

Cicero
01-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Or you could do what I did the other day and restore back via system restore.
Providing of course it was was in the last day or so it happened.

fritz
05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks to you all: Johnboy, Kjaeda, Lucyl and Cicero for trying to help. It think I have to buy a programme to retieve the lost mails. Have downloaded the demo-programme from your link Lucyl - thanks for that. Still haven't made up my mind whether I want to cough up and buy the programme. Thanks again,
Cheers

Murray P
05-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Downlaod Mozilla Thunderbird email programme, click on Tools > Import > browse to the directory LucyL mentioned (you might have to go to the folder first via Windows Explorer, to do this: In C: drive (or whatever) click on the Tools menu > Folder Options > View tab > make sure Display the full path in the adress bar is ticked, make sure Hidden files & folder is checke to :Show hidden files and folders" unckeck (if checked) Hide file extensions for known file types and, I have "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked although that shouldn't be necessary in the instance.

Now search for .dbx files (Start > Search > Files & Folders) or browse to the directory as mentioned. If you havre logged in as Administrator, the files will be in; C: \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{126A6410-A236-4B26-8AF2-4ACBC1B0BBB3}\Microsoft\Outlook Express the name of the folder in braces will change from machine to machine so don't worry if your is different. If you don't run as Adminsitrator, as LucyL said, just insert your user/account name in place of Admistrator.

Use the path to import the emails into Thunderbird, you'll be surprised at what you can find in there. you can even restore emails you thought you deleted. In fact, this is considered by some as a security risk.

LucyL
05-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Fitz

Must have got the link wrong, because the utility I used was freeware. Do a search on google and find a freeware one to help you. I think it the one I used may have even been off the PC World downloads sites.

Cheers Lucy