PDA

View Full Version : Annoying glitch

Sapperbro
01-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I have a second computer whitch is a PIII running 98SE. This runs my Priport printing press and the only installation drivers available are specifically for 95/98 hence the requirement for an older OS. However, when I install a programme (anything), when the setup starts and loads the Install Shield Wizard, as they do, I get the box showing " _delis. This program(sic) has performed an illegal operation... well, you know the rest. The details show: "_DELIS caused a general protection fault" and refers to _ISDEL.exe.

Can anyone throw some light on what all this is and how to correct/erradicate it. I simply delete the popup and carry on with installation and things seem to work OK. My suspicion is that it is something to do with the uninstall info collected for the "Settings-uninstalling" operation, but that is only an educated? guess. I have, just prior to this, reformatted the C Drive and reinstalled the OS, so it is not caused by any clag or fault that has been lurking.
Looking forward to the feed-back.
Ken

godfather
01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
"Delis" is part of the install shield that runs when you install an application.

It may fail if you have an anti-virus program running.

Sapperbro
01-05-2005, 05:55 PM
That's interesting, Godfather, specifically as I don't have a modem or internet attached to this machine and therefore have no antivirus programme running. Where to from here? Is the Install shield part of Windows per se or an integral part of each programme as it installs?
Cheers,
Ken

tweak'e
01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
got IE6 installed?

if not you may need installer2 which you can download from MS and transfer over to the pc. (it also installed when you install IE6).

pctek
01-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Where it says, "_delis caused a general protection fault
in module _isdel.exe" it is probably referring to an incomplete wiping of
all files, directories and most importantly, Registry entries.

Also see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fwebcasts%2Fwc1 21902%2FWCT121902.asp

Sapperbro
02-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Thank you Tweak'e
I have installed IE6 from my utility disk. Will wait and see what happens. Will download the other file for future use. The PIII has a modem installed and I can connect it to the net but prefer to use the main machine for my emails ad web use.
Regards,
Ken