PDA

View Full Version : Lost Desktop icons and Start menu

johnnyplight
01-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Hello.

Somehow, my desktop icons and my start button have vanished (Windows XP). I also cannot restore these by swishing or clicking my cursor. Restarting doesn't help either.

I can only access applications by using the Windows Task Manager. I cannot, however, locate the control panel so as to adjust Display properties.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JohnnyPlight :)

drcspy
01-05-2005, 08:41 AM
sounds likea virus............try running your a/v in safe mode if you can or slave he drive to another......

johnboy
01-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Bring up taskmanager then click new task and type sfc /scannow.
there is a space after sfc.
This will run the windows file checker,and will ask for your installation cd if anything is missing.
hth

Morgenmuffel
01-05-2005, 11:47 AM
I can only access applications by using the Windows Task Manager. I cannot, however, locate the control panel so as to adjust Display properties.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JohnnyPlight :)
Try right clicking on the desktop, the pop-up menu should have "properties" listed on it, click on "properties" and this should bring up the menu to change the display settings

sal
01-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Try right clicking on the desktop, the pop-up menu should have "properties" listed on it, click on "properties" and this should bring up the menu to change the display settings
Probably won't work if explorer.exe isnt loading, which sounds like the case with the symptoms given. If you still want to check out your Display Prperties and you use WinXP, from Applications tab in the Task Manager you can go New Task... > type desk.cpl > Enter. I'm not sure if your gonna have any luck there though.

Is it just the Start button missing or the whole taskbar? No errors are returned when Windows starts? Have you tried running explorer.exe from the Task Manager?