PDA

View Full Version : protectection error

fern
30-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I loaded a game and when I started it my computer crashed black screen reading computer error. When you press a key it tells you it is okay to shut down. If you restart it it goes to safe mode and will not let you out.
A technician fixed it and also was able to play the game but when I got it home and plugged it in the moment I tried to play the game it crashed again.
Obviously something wlse is clashing with the game.
My question is how to get out of the protection error/ safe mode cycle it is stuck in. Then at least I can use it (and stay away from the game) until I can get someone out to locate the cause.
I am running windows 98 se with 500 ram
Could this reply be in non technical terms as I am still learning.
I am using a friends computer and will only be here for a couple of hours tonight.

robsonde
30-04-2005, 07:28 PM
from safe mode if you do a shutdown.

the next time you power on should be normal.

Speedy Gonzales
30-04-2005, 07:30 PM
What does the protection errorr say??

fern
30-04-2005, 08:03 PM
unfortunately a normal shutdown from safe mode does not work.
Apart from the word protection error I did not note the other words. And I am not at home so I can't check.

pctek
30-04-2005, 08:21 PM
What did the tech do?
Does your PC meet minimum specs for the game? HAve you got a reasonable graphics card? Are you using the latest drivers for it? Are you running the correct DirectX version for the game?

You could, while in safe mode, uninstall the game for now.

fern
30-04-2005, 08:40 PM
I uninstalled the game the first time it happend and that did not solve the problem. I wish I knew what the techinian did, but I wasn't there. It is an older style game so I probaly have the minimum requirements covered and my computer is up to date enough to play zoo tycoon 2 which I know caused headaches for many.