PDA

View Full Version : Laptop safety through airport scanners?

Greg
30-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm about to travel via plane with a laptop for the first time... does the x-ray or whatever equipment that they use do any harm to the software, hardware or data on the computer?

I kinda doubt it, but mainly wondered if there's any precautions I need to take.

Thanks.

pctek
30-04-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm about to travel via plane with a laptop for the first time... does the x-ray or whatever equipment that they use do any harm to the software, hardware or data on the computer?

I kinda doubt it, but mainly wondered if there's any precautions I need to take.

Thanks.
No its safe. Airports have stuffed millions of them through their scanners now.

Greg
30-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Thx. I kinda thought so, but just needed a bit of assurance about my new baby's safety :)

Graham L
30-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Of course you need the handcuffs so you are attached to it. They probably still have the 5 second MTTD (mean time to disappear) when a laptop is put down "for a moment" in a busy terminal.

Greg
30-04-2005, 04:35 PM
heh heh

But I'm only going to Wellingburg for my missus' masters graduation ceremony, so kinda doubt there'll be excessive thievery en route.

Prescott
30-04-2005, 06:07 PM
where are you going to pack it? in your suitcase? those plane loaders are known just to throw and drop your suitcase, it would be a shame if it became all smashed

theother1
30-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Airlines will not take computers as checked luggage if they know about it. Tell them you have a lappie in your carry on bag and they will take all care to make sure it is OK, even to the lengths of letting you take an oversized bag on board. You will have to take it out of the bag to go through the scanner as they are so dense as to mask other stuff in the bag. Relax and worry about the flight,the lappie will be fine.
Rob

bob_doe_nz
30-04-2005, 07:16 PM
hmm.. when I went from Auckland to Whakatane airports, I just took my laptop with me onto the plane with no problems.

no checkpoints requiring me to verify my lappy or anything. nada...

somebody
30-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Most domestic routes don't make you x-ray carry on luggage, or even checked-in luggage.

EX-WESTY
30-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Just let them check it in

Any luck you'll have 4 kilo's of dope in the bag when you pick it up at the other end. :D

theother1
30-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Most domestic routes don't make you x-ray carry on luggage, or even checked-in luggage.

I think you will find that any aircraft carrying over 40 pax the airline will require bags to be xrayed.

godfather
30-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Jet passengers are X-rayed, Prop Passengers not (as stated the size of the plane, the potential for destruction).

But at some airports (Christchurch, Auckland) all passengers are treated equally and carry-on is all x-rayed before you even get to departure. Wellington is X-rayed in each departure so it depends on plane size.

They used to make you take the lappie out, not now it seems.

Overseas I had to take the laptop out, boot it so they could see it work, shut it down, take out the battery and each bit was x-rayed separately, then put it back together.... But that has now been relaxed as well.

Laptops are fine as carry-on but watch the 7.5 kilo one piece of carry on luggage only limit - they do police it hard from time to time.

I whack mine into the checked luggage in my suitcase on overseas flights.