PDA

View Full Version : L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ....

hamstar
30-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Hi guys,

Gone and started up that PC I built... it booted from CD ROM and I installed the first part of windows, however when I try to boot from the hard drive, it displays L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 multiple more times...

What the hell does this mean?

Mobo is ECS KM400-M2...

cheers
hamstar

hamstar
30-04-2005, 02:52 AM
and before anyone asks, the primary ide is in the hdd and the secondary ide is in the CDROM....

hamstar
30-04-2005, 03:15 AM
OK, if anyone has this problem, simply boot up to the windows recovery console and do fixmbr to reset the master boot record.

Don't worry it doesn't wipe the hard drive.

I just looked around google and saw this error wasn't widely documented and was mostly given as a LILO problem.

Anyway, let the search bots harvest this.

JJJJJ
30-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Longhorn will be the death of Microsoft
Open Source will Reise!!!

A commedian amongst us!!!!

Linux will never become universal untill someone produces a version that is fully plug and play. One that works properly. One that you don't need to be a nerd to use.
The command line went out with DOS.

chiefnz
30-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Longhorn will be the death of Microsoft
Open Source will Reise!!!Well I'd rather have Linux than Windows to be honest...

Linux will never become universal untill someone produces a version that is fully plug and play. Well windows isn't exactly PLUG n PLAY HEAVEN there are still issues with drivers and hardware every so now and again. It won't be long before Linux will have drivers for all sorts of hardware and at the moment Linux does pretty well installing hardware... the only reason why Windows is more plug n play compatible is that most hardware manufacturers design their device drivers with primarily Windows in mind. Given time Linux will have the same sort of deal. Manufacturers are already starting to see the need for Linux drivers to be shipped with their hardware as more Linux installs start coming into play

One that works properly. I beg to differ... show me a Windows system that supposedly runs properly without any problems... get real that is a blatantly unrealistic statement.. Windows will never run perfectly and neither will Linux.

One that you don't need to be a nerd to use.The command line went out with DOS. If the average Windows user spent as much time learning Linux as they did Windows then you'd have more Linux users out there... primarily due to the cost factor... that would make everyone a nerd... Linux would be hard for anyone who has been using Windows for 5 years or more. DOS might be outdated.... but that doesn't make the console in Linux obsolete.... DOS was ditched to make room for the money machine that is MS Windows.... DOS in itself is a very powerful system.... there are quite a few people out there who use the old DOS PROMPT every now and again.

cheers

chiefnz

dolby digital
30-04-2005, 10:44 AM

It must be a dream then that I normally diagnose networking windows problems at the dos prompt :rolleyes:

Who really cares whether you use a command line or a GUI; whatever you are happy with. Also Linux is not compulsory. Microsoft would, however, make Windows compulsory if they could... and they will try.

Myth
30-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Sometimes the only way to fix a Windows problem (such as corrupt startup file) is by using the command line

Graham L
30-04-2005, 03:24 PM
And this is a MS Windows installation. I thought Windows set up the disk to suit itself because no other OSs exist.;) This isn't a Linux or LILO fault. If the LILO loader tries to load an OS kernel which doesn't exist, it is likely to give error messages. I suspect that MS loaders have troubles if the OS isn't present too.

Jack: Believe it or not there were command line interfaces and OSs for decades before DOS and Windows were perpetrated. There have been command line interfaces and other OSs even after Windows was perpetrated. There will be command line interfaces and other OSs as long as there are computers, because they are efficient and well suited to various tasks.

Professional system administrators have always preferred typing commands because that is quicker than using a mouse, and produces more predictable results.

But you don't have to use them. You do have the choice.

pctek
30-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Why else does WInXP have that command cmd??? Its not for launcing an icon... :illogical