PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is my hardware prone to dying?

Agent_24
29-04-2005, 06:30 PM
back again on the topic of my unfortuate geforce 6600GT and surprisingly a force feedback steering wheel....

Just bought a MS Sidewinder FF wheel (gameport edition) and had it going quite well with NFSUG.

I was playing along nicely with no problems at all when suddenly most of the textures dissapeared, and the computer proceeded to die in a very unprofessional fashion (somehow ended up with nothing except a flashing cursor, like what you get in DOS.

So I disconnected the wheel, rebooted and everything seemed OK.

Later on I tried NFSUG again, with the wheel - just got into the menu where you select your car... *Bingo* lots of lovely red dots on the screen and hardly any menu left..

Tried mininmising, the screen turned off, then came back on with BSOD saying nv4_disp (or one of the nv4_xxx) and saying the driver got stuck in an endless loop, probably due to bad hardware.

I restarted at that point, and was greeted with a completely screwed video bios screen (random characters everywhere) then onto the standard post with all text and images OK, but red dotted lines down the screen, then when the XP boot menu appeared, more scrambled characters, and finally the red lines changed to green while booting.

Then the screen turned off and It wouldn't come back on. :help: :help:

Seems like the steering wheel did something my computer really didn't like... :@@:

Jen
29-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Don't you still have your current problem you posted about here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=57108)? Went to check out your other posts to see what the previous graphic card problem was, and I noticed you never said it was resolved from the advice given, so this is still probably a continuation of that. Have you tried a different graphic card at any stage?

vapo
29-04-2005, 06:56 PM
May be poor power quality. Do you have surge protector/UPS?

Agent_24
29-04-2005, 07:15 PM
from the advice given in the other post, I decided to get a new PSU, though I haven't actually gotten it yet.

The 'video card not getting enough power' message had not come up since the other time, and everything had been going Ok untill installation of the wheel. maybe it was coincidence, but the wheel also caused graphical problems (parts of the HUD dissappearing) on another computer when running NFSII...

at the moment my computer is running a PCI S3Trio64V2, at 8 Bit colour, which is NOT helping me. lol

pctek
29-04-2005, 08:37 PM
at the moment my computer is running a PCI S3Trio64V2, at 8 Bit colour, which is NOT helping me. lol
You are having this current problem with that card installed??
Its barely adequate for the games...

Agent_24
29-04-2005, 08:41 PM
I had to put the S3Trio in because my Geforce 6 was generating the red lines and not getting into windows properly.

pctek
29-04-2005, 10:53 PM
I had to put the S3Trio in because my Geforce 6 was generating the red lines and not getting into windows properly.
Yeah what I meant though, was the sidewinder being used with the other card as well or have you just been using the sidewinder with this card in the PC?
Cause its seems like a graphics problem, not something relating to the sidewinder.
And that current card would have trouble with those games.
Guess you need to chnage the card, then try the sidewinder again.
Or try the sidewinder on someone elses PC - that will eliminate it as the problem. (or not)

Agent_24
29-04-2005, 11:32 PM
my geforce 6 was working fine with NFSUG (and everything else) until I tried playng NFSUG with the steering wheel as well, where it went straight onto the red dots, lines, and not loading windows properly.

And since the problem came up immediately after using the wheel, It just seems logical that it would be the source of the problem.

imarubberducky
30-04-2005, 12:22 AM
its probli just u