PDA

View Full Version : computer cases

tellus
28-04-2005, 09:55 PM
I wonder if anybody could give me some advice about computer cases. I switched on my computer the other day, the machine refused to boot up and politely asked me to insert a system disk. The problem turned out that neither of my two hard drives were being recognised. Opening up the case the problem was obvious Ė dust. The room I work in is very dusty, I have previously had a Multifunction literally blow up, and I would like advice about reducing dust inside the case or about buying a fully filtered case; please do not suggest cleaning the room. I have searched the Internet and I can find nothing unless I spend $1000, I have also checked Tomís Hardware Review and the best it can come up with is a case with partial filtering. Thanks for your help
tellus

Aurealis_
28-04-2005, 10:06 PM
To my regrets, (I also have a dusty room) I haven't ever seen any 'filtered' cases.

My thinking on the lack of them is: The thing with putting filters on is that you would still have to clean them regularly or the airflow would be cut off. Because of that, filtered cases would be a liability as many users would forget to clean them and overheating would ensue.

Your best protection is to regularly clean the case.

tweak'e
28-04-2005, 10:08 PM
i have seen a few cheap cases with filters but the easiest way is to simplt buy filters that fit on the intake fans. eg filters (http://www.overclockers.co.nz/product/fan_acc/filter.shtml)

vapo
28-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Watercooling with only exhaust fans maybe?

pctek
28-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Dust mainly gets in through fans. www.overclockers.co.nz sells filters. As has been said, you still need to clean out the filters.

Hire a maid.

Have the room converted into one of those special rooms they make the CPUs in, and wear a protective suit when entering as well.

:thumbs:

Aurealis_
28-04-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry, did you say 'dust-free environment'? (http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20050419/images/amd_fertigung.jpg)

See above.

pctek
28-04-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry, did you say 'dust-free environment'? (http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20050419/images/amd_fertigung.jpg)

See above.
Hehe, thats the one I was thinking of! :thumbs: :lol: :lol:

tweak'e
28-04-2005, 10:39 PM
i forgot to mentioned my liitle trail. a made a homemade one, about 6" wide by 10" high. it collected the dust very well except being in the front of the case was a nightmare to get to it to clean out. i found i nneded to clean it out every 3-4 weeks. i have toyed with the idea of useing a motorbike airfilter.

....mmmmm i wonder how many pc's have come with a K&N air filter.......its got to make it go faster ;) LOL.

Morgenmuffel
28-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Well I'll ask the stupid question,

where is all the dust coming from? as from the sounds of it it is a bit excessive

Is it normal household dust

or is it from something else in the room,

or from living near a source of dust,

some times solutions have nothing to do with the PC especially if you have other equipment that is being damaged by the dust, putting flyscreens (shadecloth works OKish and is fairly cheap) over the windows actually cuts down a lot of dust getting into the room etc (I know I had to clean them at a flat i lived in), as does having a dehumidifier in the room or at least my old one (years ago) needed the filter cleaned every day as it clogged up with dust but it did remove some dust and moisture from the air

tellus
28-04-2005, 11:16 PM
thanks for the prompt replies. The dust comes into the case via a fan at the base of the case, unfortunately the hard drives are in front of it once you open the case. I presume the filters go inside the case so it would be quite a nuisance getting at them on a regular basis, however I think this is what I will have to do. The maid I keep firmly out of this room and shows no sympathy at all for this predicament!! When i was looking at cases on the internet I saw some water cooled ones, but not for me at this stage. Thanks for the ideas
tellus

gibler
28-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Don't feel too bad. I've heard a story of PC that was in a factory somewhere that used to get salt encrusted on the inside of the case. It was decided that the layer was more protective and to leave it alone :thumbs: