PDA

View Full Version : Problem with symantec

xineohp
27-04-2005, 03:51 PM
I have a problem with Norton AV 2003 it won't live update it comes up with the error LU1814. Also I cannot get the symantec home page to come up in Internet Explorer I get the MSN search page which lists Symantec.com when I click on that I get the page cannot be displayed.
In Firefox I get The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.symantec.com.

I have ran AVG, Spybot & Adaware and removed all that they found but still the same problem.

I'm running WinXP and using a dial up connection.

Here is a log from HiJackThis

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 2:43:46 p.m., on 27/04/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brss01a.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\NMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.xtramsn.co.nz/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6DDAC662-2FA5-4C96-8C6E-9B035F6A198E}: NameServer = 202.27.158.40 202.27.156.72

Any ideas?

mark c
27-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I leapt over the side of SS.Symantec years ago. people posting about problems with Norton is a bit like people with Alzhiemers saying they keep forgetting.

Maybe the ver. you have, 03, is out of date and not updateable?

Seems odd from your file you've got three svchost.exe's. And all the same location.

tweak'e
27-04-2005, 04:13 PM
have you check the host file for any symantec or akamai entries ?

BTW its best that avg dosn't run at the same time as nortons.

is live update been allow through the firewall ?
is the XP sp1 firewall off ?

tweak'e
27-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Seems odd from your file you've got three svchost.exe's. And all the same location
its normall. just watch out for the slightly missed spelled ones ;)

xineohp
27-04-2005, 04:20 PM
have you check the host file for any symantec or akamai entries ?

BTW its best that avg dosn't run at the same time as nortons.

is live update been allow through the firewall ?
is the XP sp1 firewall off ?
-------------
How do I check the host file ?

AVG does not run at the same time as Norton

Live update has been allowed through the firewall

It's really strange that Live Update won't work and I can go to any page on the internet on both browsers aprt from the symantec site.

tweak'e
27-04-2005, 04:25 PM
make sure hide known file types and hide system files etc is off. then search for host (don't forget to set the search to search hidden files).

open it in notepad.

you still have AVG running. i suggest disabling AVG in start up (msconfig).

mark c
27-04-2005, 04:31 PM
tweak'e......
its normall. just watch out for the slightly missed spelled ones

I thought you couldm't have identical file names.

xineohp.......... Some malware can prevent you from going to sites or running apps that are designed to remove it. I'd do a thorough spyware/adware check. Have a look in the FAQs.

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2005, 05:25 PM
I would remove AVG and ZA if u have Nortons Internet Security.

You dont need 3 different programs just to scan viruses.

And yup updates are still available for v 2003 coz I use it and still get updates. BUT it maybe the server itself, I think is playing up.

It takes a few tries for it to update/work. Might be a server prob.

Also NIS has (or had) a habit of stopping the proxy service in admin tools/services. Go to Symantec Proxy service.

See if is has started (the service). If stopped this will stop u from browsing too. Put it on automatic and the status should be on started.

pctek
27-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I would remove AVG and ZA if u have Nortons Internet Security.

I would remove Nortons if you have ZA and AVG. :D

Murray P
27-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I would remove Nortons if you have ZA and AVG. :D

Ditto.

Recently, someone else on the forum had a hosts file entry blocking Norton's update. It was fixed by removing the offending lines but, what I would want to know is; is this a Norton's bug or has some malware (which NIS didn't stop in the first place) disabled the update and altered Norton's in any other way?

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Nah ZA is good but not that good as NIS..

And AVG is OK but I wouldnt use it.

tweak'e
27-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Recently, someone else on the forum had a hosts file entry blocking Norton's update. It was fixed by removing the offending lines but, what I would want to know is; is this a Norton's bug or has some malware (which NIS didn't stop in the first place) disabled the update and altered Norton's in any other way?
most likly they have had a virus or malware which tries to disable nortons. for some reason i've seen a couple latly that have gotten past nortons antivirus. no idea why as it was fully upto date (one was beagle).

edit: nortons firewall is OK .....IF you can use it which is normally the biggest problem. ZA is a lot simpler, less likly for someone to stuff it up ;)

xineohp
27-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Cheers for all your help, it was in the hosts file I removed the entries and away it went

Thanks again

theother1
27-04-2005, 06:54 PM
A post to look forward to "No Problems with Nortons"

steamman
28-04-2005, 08:39 AM
The fact is that with Win XP it must be a current version of Norton with correct registry code, The same prob that I found, so I unninstalled Norton and put AVG, no furthur troubles.