PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Jetstream latency

Warhog
27-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I am on a 2mb Xtra Jetstream plan (well my parents are and I live in the house). And I get 100 ping on aussie or NZ based servers, anywhere from 350 - 999 on other servers. My uncle uses a 256k Wireless connection with another company and generally gets 250 for over seas, this is better than my connection 8x better than his. Does anyone else have this problem?

ILikeLinux
27-04-2005, 02:56 PM
It could be the line interference in this case, how far away are you from the exchange?

Murray P
27-04-2005, 03:37 PM
If your in an area where they have changed to goodies in the exchange form packet dropping to packet queing, you may not have any choice. Essentially this is ok for your avergae browsing and email but hopeless for gaming, P2P, chat, VOIP and other realtime data transfer. Apparently this affects Xtra a little less than other ISP's resold Telecom offerings, why this would be I don't know :xmouth:

Warhog
27-04-2005, 05:06 PM
I can download from the internet say programs at 250kps but when playing games and voice chat... When we got broadband the guy said if we'd been down the road a bit more we'd have had broadband like you described

mzee
29-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I used to be with Orcon & the latency was terrible, they blamed Telecom, so "if you can't beat them, join them" I changed to Xtra where the service is very good.
I was originally on the Jetstream Plus (50 times) but to save money changed to the 3gig 256 plan. Most of the time the speed is the same as the faster one was, presumably controlled by the telephone lines, exchange etc. Costs $20 month less :thumbs: