PDA

View Full Version : Wireless LAN - Will this work?

Agent_24
27-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Ok, at the moment I have all my computers wired up via a switching hub and ethernet cables everywhere, with my main (gaming) computer as the internet 'gateway'.

Basically I want to cut out the main cable that's pissing me off, and also be able to access the internet from other computers, without having to have my main computer on all the time. (and also so a different computer can host my website)

My plan can be seen as this image drawn in mspaint (ok, its poor but hopefully you get the idea)

Image here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Wireless_net_plan.png)

wondering will this all work? and hopefully all the PC's mentioned in my diagram will have internet access.

plod
27-04-2005, 12:02 PM
as long as the pc that say wireless have a wireless card in them i can't see why not

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2005, 12:04 PM
How many pcs altogether?? And whats the main pc running??

And what are the other PC's?? 98? XP? 2000? If XP is SP2 installed??

Agent_24
27-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Both my gaming and website(hopefully) Pc's have XP Sp2,

The other PC's connected via the wired lan would include XP, win98SE, 95, and maybe other OS's too.

ILikeLinux
27-04-2005, 01:51 PM
On the the web server, you will have to bridge the lan connection and the wireless in network connections in Xp, IIRC Xp has a wizard for this, So In theory it will work. Just make sure that you have sucurity on the wireless.

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Well depending on which version of XP is the main one (Home or Pro), it wont go beyond 5 on Home or 10 on Pro (well with a wired network).

The same might apply with a wireless network.