PDA

View Full Version : For anyone useing free AVG read this.

Trev
27-04-2005, 12:24 PM
http://www.software-antivirus.com/program/avg-antivirus-review.html

Trevor:)

plod
27-04-2005, 12:30 PM
well i suppose you get what u pay for. As i haven't used one years i dont know which is good, but have heard that nod32 is a good one, apparently uses very little system resources.

Metla
27-04-2005, 12:35 PM
1. Its AVG6,No longer available.

2.Half that crock they must have pulled out of their backsides, AVG6 was in no way unstable,demanding of computer resources,or badly suportted.

Avg6 and Avg7 definitly have flaws just as all programs do but that site makes some strange claims.

Greg
27-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Ditto what Metla said.... that site is obviously skewed toward selling you software via their site! :mad:
Some of what they say is blatantly false and misleading.

tweak'e
27-04-2005, 12:49 PM
i would agree. what a lot of bull.

Comes only with a basic (automated) interface without the possibility to adjust any settings
settings can be changed easy enough.

Inserts ads in your email messages.
all it says is AVG has checked the email and you can change the message or turn it off.

Doesn't update their virus definition files very often (monthly intervals, should be twice a week)
they normally do once a week which is pretty much the norm unless there is a lot of new viru's and they can have 5 updates a week. note the auto update (which i never use) used to be set to check once a month which wasn't good. it is configureable.

Deletes infected files without warning. This is especially bad if the file didn't contain a virus after all (a false positive). so do most antivirus's, also configureable.

Beware that some features in the Pro version is not available in the adware version
what adware ver? they don't make one.

You can't see anything in systray, so you don't know if it's running or not are they BLIND, so whats the AVG logo is the task bar then ???

lastly its an obsolete ver which no-one uses any more.

i wonder if the site is in a country where AVG could sue em ;)

JonB
27-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Software-antivirus.com website last updated December 2004.
AVG referred to is Ver 6, August 2002.......yeah, right!
I think the above says it all. Most unbiased reviewers, i.e. those without a vested interest in selling AV software, rate AVG very highly. I personally find it excellent.

JonB

FoxyMX
27-04-2005, 01:31 PM
It's important to be aware of the fact that antivirus software has a very limited ability to detect new and unknown viruses, they usually detects between 15% and 50%. Testing has put AVG Antivirus in the lower range, with only a 15%-20% detection rate. AVG Antivirus is the only decent free antivirus program available, but unfortunately it's far from good enough. Our advice: Don't listen to friends or fellow net users praising AVG Antivirus. Stay away if you're serious about staying protected.
After all the other inaccurate rubbish they posted about AVG how do they expect people to believe their virus test results? I now give them very little credibility.

As for AVG being the "only" decent free AV program someone might need to point out to them that they missed reviewing Avast!, another "decent" and free AV program.

Murray P
27-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Calm down folks, they put Nortons in the "stay away" from list so, they got one right, unfortuantely they have McAfee in the recommended list.

Checked out the Nod32 review, August 2002, interface and programme is completely different. I'd say that if your using an obsolete version of a programme, this site may have some use as a prompt to upgrade your software, but prbably more as to how you shouldn't maintain an informative type website. In fact it's so poorly done that I was looking for the inevitable link to a scam download, activeX or JS exploit.

pctek
27-04-2005, 01:51 PM
ons - AVG Antivirus:

* Comes only with a basic (automated) interface without the possibility to adjust any settings
Wrong
* Slows down your computer considerably
Rubbish, they're thinking of Nortons
* You can't see anything in systray, so you don't know if it's running or not
Yes you can
Major flaws - AVG Antivirus:

* Terrible virus detection rate
Wrong
* Very low on scripts, backdoors and trojans.
Proved that wrong yesterday - it was the only one of the ladies various checkers that was alerting her

Rob99
27-04-2005, 02:05 PM
I agree they got AVG wrong in many cases, I use Nod32 so I read through that aswell, Nod32 has the best detection rate in the world and they didnt pick up on that, a few more inconsistencies as well. I would say they are a bunch of ning nongs that have no idea what they are talking about, or the site is 2-3 years old and was crap then too so it stayed un-updated.

KiwiTT_NZ
27-04-2005, 02:08 PM
No mention of AVAST either. A good Anti-Virus Program and great features and free for home users.

theother1
27-04-2005, 02:50 PM
All of what they said. It just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read, even on the net> :D

But I guess posting that showed who was awake and taking notice.