PDA

View Full Version : AAAGHHH DESPERATELY NEED HELP!!!

haddock_n_chips
27-04-2005, 01:39 AM
hello everyone!

sorry for the 'loud' title but......

my housemate has just bought a usb storage drive memory stick thingy and she went to copy some word documents onto it and they have messed up! the problem seems to be as follows:

1. she didnt format the usb memory stick before using it (like it said in the instruction manual!)
2. windows seems to have MOVED not copied the files to the memory stick therefore recovery programs wont work on the c:\ drive as they havnt actually been deleted but moved.
3. this is her dissertation project! she will fail university if we cant fix it quickly!!!

anyone have any idea what to do?!!!!

cheers

will.......

p.s. yes she is blonde! ;-)

Rob99
27-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Cross your fingers and hope when you wake in the morning it was all a dream.

Have you tried Ctrl Z a few times.

Or try this (http://www.runtime.org/).

mark c
27-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Haddo.

People here are quite exceptionally helpfull and knowledgeable. Maybe the reason you havn't gpt much help is because the use of loud and uninformative post titles is not only disliked but against the very sensible rules. Have a look.

Maybe you can transfer the files back off the stick? Never used one. Is this possible or because of the stick not being formatted in the first place the moved files are not even on the stick. If the files were unable to be moved I would have thought thee would have been an error message.

HTH m :)

ILikeLinux
27-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I highly doubt that windows could of moved files to an unformatted usb key. Can you plug the key back into the machine that she copied the files from and see the files perfectly? If so, copy them off and formatt the usb key to Fat32.

dolby digital
27-04-2005, 03:00 PM
hello everyone!

sorry for the 'loud' title but......

my housemate has just bought a usb storage drive memory stick thingy and she went to copy some word documents onto it and they have messed up! the problem seems to be as follows:

1. she didnt format the usb memory stick before using it (like it said in the instruction manual!)

anyone have any idea what to do?!!!!

cheers

will.......

p.s. yes she is blonde! ;-)

Do a search on the hard drive to ensure they haven't ended up somewhere else. Also check the recycle bin. You never know...

TonyF
27-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Don't write anything to HD until problem is solved. See
www.pcworld.com for a list of progs to recover stuff.

Graham L
27-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Don't even use Windows on that computer. ;) It writes to the disk without being told to do to, and every write risks more loss. Set the write-protect tab on the USB stick, too. You mustn't risk any alteration of it.

Ask the computer experts at the university for advice. They will say things about "backup" , but they should still be helpful. ;)

It might not be too serious yet. Thinking about it, the stick was probably formatted in the factory. If it hadn't been a recognisable format Windows would have wanted to format it.

The files are probably there, and they would have been removed from the HD after the copy. What isn't there is the updated directory of the USB disk which has the information about the new files on it.

She might have removed the stick too soon. There is a taskbar icon which should be used before removing in. This ensures that the directory is written out to the USB device.

This should be recoverable. There are a quite a few programmes which will recover "lost" files on USB disk. Some are free; some allow you to download a trial version which will tell you what it can recover after paying for the programme.

haddock_n_chips
28-04-2005, 01:24 AM
thanks for the help everyone! i managed to get the majority of stuff back using a program called 'recover my files'!

thanks once again

will....

Graham L
28-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Tell her about backups. Floppies aren't totally reliable, but better than nothing. Formatted Word files might be too big for floppies, but a copy "Saved" As text is better than nothing. More than one copy is even better. (and a backup isn't a copy unless you have read it back ;))