PDA

View Full Version : The Aurealis_ Linux Project

Aurealis_
27-04-2005, 12:35 AM
I've decided to make myself a 2nd dedicated Linux Toyboy PC. The Hardware is as follows:

Gigabyte GA7VTXE+ Motherboard
Leadtek Geforce 2 Ti
Athlon XP 1600+
512MB DDR266 RAM
120GB PATA HDD
Generic (and noisy) 52x CD-ROM
Intel PRO-100S NIC
-Possibly Gigabyte 'GN-WPKG' Wireless LAN card if compatible. (Does anyone know of any Linux Compatible WLAN cards)

The Distro I'm choosing is Mandrake 11. Before I go to the trouble of building this box and installiong the OS, can anyone tell me if any of the parts I have
selected will be incompatible and even suggest an alternative part?

Once I've got the hardware finalized I'll ask you guys some more questions about the software side.

I would like to thank everyone for their response well in advance, this is hugely appreciated and it will be a great joy to me to see this finished. Pictures will be regularly posted, I want you all to feel like you're mothers/fathers to this box.

Cheers!

gibler
27-04-2005, 12:42 AM
does linux hcl (http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/) help?

Aurealis_
27-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Yes. Indeed it does. Too many things to read tonight though. I'll give it a shot tommorow.

What about when my hardware isn't listed? I can't find the motherboard in the -> Motherboards -> Gigabyte section.

Graham L
27-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Yes. Indeed it does. Too many things to read tonight though. I'll give it a shot tommorow.

What about when my hardware isn't listed? I can't find the motherboard in the -> Motherboards -> Gigabyte section.

Google. It's even more uptodate than the hardware compatibility list. Just enter the make and model of the thing and "linux". Anyone who has problems with something will ask about it. If someone tries something new and it works, they usually boast about it. :)

It's a good idea to check Google for anything you want to buy, before you buy it.

Jen
27-04-2005, 07:09 PM
As Graham mentions, hardware model + linux tagged onto google searches usually shows good information. However, make sure you check out the dates and kernel version on any comments you read. Your motherboard is a couple of years old and google shows up problems relating to audio (VT8233) under the older 2.2 and 2.4 kernels from when it was first release. Most distro's will be using late 2.6 version kernels so you will often find those old comments are no longer valid. It also appear that the VT8233 AC 97 Codec is fine now.

An easy way of testing hardware compatibility is to fire up a Live-CD on the machine in question and see whether you have full functionality. Your nVidia card will be fine as nVidia is very good with supporting Linux and provide regular drivers for it.

Have fun with it. :)

Aurealis_
27-04-2005, 11:15 PM
A Live-CD? How bloody clever is that!

Microsith... Sigh. Where is your Live-CD?

I will run the Live-CD tommorow. The audio functionality may prove to be a problem. I have a 'Creative SB Live! Value' spare which I could always chuck in the box instead. It appears to be Linux ready (http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme/)

Chilling_Silence
28-04-2005, 10:25 AM
The SB!Live works, using the driver emu10k1.

There's the cheap Zidas chipset-based USB 802.11b card from DSE which I got to work with precious little trouble.

IIRC you can modprobe e100 for the NIC, so thats not an issue. Im yet to personally see a GB motherboard which doesnt like Linux, they're usually pretty good.

VIA have great linux support too.

Most things these days are pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good ;)

The box should be fine

CHill.