PDA

View Full Version : small firewall?

kaliyuga
26-04-2005, 09:48 PM
i have an old computer running windows 98 I wanted to connect to the internet but need a firewall. i tried to put kerio on it but it wouldn't fit on the hard drive! (Man computers have changed a lot since i got that one). anyway my question is; is there a functional firewall that will fit on with only 1.2 gig to spare?

Prescott
26-04-2005, 09:54 PM
zonealarm should fit. im surprised that kerio wouldnt fit, thats a small firewall isnt it?

tweak'e
26-04-2005, 10:00 PM
about the only smallish one i have tried is outpost (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1056.html).

Terry Porritt
26-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Try Kerio version 2.1.5 the installation file is only 2MB. The ProgramFiles folder can get bigger, that is due to the filter log which grows in size with time.

You wont get much smaller than Kerio.

With only 1.2GB tp play with you will need to be selective with what programs you load.

kaliyuga
27-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't really get why kerio (4 wont go on, on the website the system requirements state that it needs 10MB for installation so with all the room on the hard drive why would it say it couldn't fit? Also when i tried to install it it wanted to connect to the internet and download something for 40 mins before it came up with that message. (all that time with no firewall protection!) I have downloaded outpost and will try that next. I have the file for zonealarm but have had trouble with a home network with that.

FoxyMX
27-04-2005, 03:08 PM
I was going to recommend Sygate but the install file is at least twice the size of Kerio and Outpost. :eek:

Not sure whether the installation size is comparable though.