PDA

View Full Version : ECS Elitegroup Motherboards

RayRay
26-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Just wondering what people think of these motherboads produced by ECS. I'm on a tight budget and there seem ideal. Especially interested to here from those people who have used one or are using one currently. I'm looking at getting this one http://www.c1computer.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=324. Thanks.

Myth
26-04-2005, 08:17 PM
I had one as part of this PC Company computer.
Yes they are cheap, and no, I wouldn't recommend one, mainly as the one I had lasted just over a year. But then I may have gotten a dud motherboard

Currently use MSI, had no probs with it so far, and its almost 2 years old.

tweak'e
26-04-2005, 08:29 PM
ECS are your usual cheapo manafacture, however they are one of the biggest manafactures around. they make a lot of OEM and other brands products as well.

i would say they are better than most other elcheapo's.

Metla
26-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Overall i would say they ain't too bad, some of there boards are dogs,some are excellent.I would check out a review on that specific board before making a purchase...but that applies to any motherboard no matter what brand.

I wouyld take an ECS over an AsRock if that means anything. I have p4 running on an ECS board somewhere,its a nice rig.

the highlander
26-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Overall i would say they ain't too bad, some of there boards are dogs,some are excellent.I would check out a review on that specific board before making a purchase...but that applies to any motherboard no matter what brand.

I wouyld take an ECS over an AsRock if that means anything. I have p4 running on an ECS board somewhere,its a nice rig.
Only ever had one dodgy asrock which was replaced immediately. This is going back to the first boards they brought out HOWEVER I have only made up 10-12 systems using them so Its probably not a representative sample. Either I was lucky or asrock rocks :D
On the other hand I have the the opposite results with ecs, 2 out of 3 being dying young. Again probably not representative

Metla
26-04-2005, 10:11 PM
hmmm....Its not relability that makes me avoid AsRock, its been performance and features,it may be all in my mind but the systems I have built with AsRock boards weren't as snappy as i believe they should be.

Havent had a single dead AsRock board,or an unstable one.Though I don't use many of them, So I don't rubbish them but I do prefer others.

As for ECS, I have used many many of their boards, Have had about 3 doa,and one that failed after about 4 months.Thats pretty good going for the amount I have used.(though I have pulled dozens out of dead PC company rigs,but then I have pulled more dead boards out of Compaq's then anything else (MSI I think)

Percentage wise I have had more Asus boards with reliability problems then any other brand. :eek:

Never had a faulty Gigabyte board,but then I tend to use Asus in the...uh...deluxe rigs. :D

Still,Even though I handle a fair few boards(granted its a tiny amount compared to many) its still to small a sample to make any conclusive argument for and against, It tends to be certain batches or chipsets that give problems rather then Brands.

And personal bias plays a large part.

the highlander
26-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Yep agree there, no way can an asrock be described as a performance board. Also agree with gigabyte as I have never had a new mobo fail. Asus I love even though the mainstream boards are rather bland now. The premium boards are still great though with options a plenty. My main rig is always asus (P4800 even though its a little long in the tooth now) with a gigabyte titan board based rig and an asus P4Pe rig as back up.
Mind you I dont build a hell of of a lot of amd sytems (most of those being asus or gigabyte) so I am only commenting at half throttle.

pctek
26-04-2005, 10:58 PM
ECS are quite horrible really but not as nasty as Jetway.

Aurealis_
26-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I've had 12 Motherboards in my lifetime, with 80% of them being Gigabyte boards and the others being medium to high quality brands.

Only 2 of them have failed/stopped working because of some mysterious circumstance...

1) Power Surge caused by Lightning destroyed 60% of the box... Luckily the CPU, RAM and MOBO got replaced on warranty.

2) I applied too much pressure removing a heatsink and scratched the contacts between the CPU and RAM. Returned the board for warranty and the friendly computer store 'lost' the board and Gigabyte replaced it =)

chiefnz
27-04-2005, 07:38 AM
I don't think they're too bad, my dad's original PC had an ECS board in it. It was a good rig too, had firewire ports and everything he bought that 2 & a half years ago. It still goes well, currently running Fedora Core 3, uses it mainly for music and DVD playback at school, but he likes the look and feel of Open Office too.

[yes another Linux convert.... go tux]

ECS boards aren't too bad but do your homework and then make an informed decision... or save a little more dosh and buy a more well known mobo.

cheers

chiefnz

RayRay
27-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks all. After reading your responces i think i will save a little bit more money and get a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 ($140 at PCSale). I did like the features on that ECS board (raid and sata for $80 hmmm) but in the end reliabilty is paramount. Thanks again.