PDA

View Full Version : blue screen

G-Boy
26-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I have taken this from another forum, as it is the problem i am having, but can not find any help,OS Windows ME. When i start any of my PC games, i get a blue screen with an error message saying:

An Error has ocurred to continue:
Press Enter and return to Windows, or
Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart your computer. If you do this, you will lose any unsaved information n all open applications:

File Name: VMCPD (01) + 0000061C Error: OD : 0028 : C0058358
Press any key to continue.

this does not happen every time but about 90% of the time, when this happens i lose all my sound untill the computer is restarted. ANY HELP THANKS HEAPS

pctek
26-04-2005, 07:16 PM
VMCPD.VXD is the file containing the Virtual Math Co-Processor driver.

For some reason the error might be caused by Video Drives or Sound drivers. According to this site (http://www.techadvice.com/w98/errors/2/er_00174.htm) anyway.

Also you could try restoring the VMCPD.VXD file from your Windows installation CD.

Another thing would be to check that you have a reasonable amount of free space on your hard drive. VXD errors can occur when the system is low on virtual memory.

Also try disabling sound acceleration used by DirectX

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Sounds like its a videocard driver or directx prob.

Try reinstalling the video drivers for your video card, or/and DirectX.

Do a search and see if this file is on your hard drive Vmcpd.vxd

It also has something to do with the Virtual Math Co-Processor driver.

Myth
26-04-2005, 07:24 PM
The only advice I was able to find was to try going to the MS Update site and updating MS Virtual Machine.

What lead to this error? Did you try an install anything? or uninstall?

Any hardware/driver changes recently?

G-Boy
26-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Sounds like its a videocard driver or directx prob.

Try reinstalling the video drivers for your video card, or/and DirectX.

Do a search and see if this file is on your hard drive Vmcpd.vxd

It also has something to do with the Virtual Math Co-Processor driver.

Thanks to all for the replys. Yes i did a serch and the file is not on my hard drive??? what now :@@:

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Show all hidden files. It maybe hidden as its a system file i think.

Whats the CPU / processor in this system??? And does it support MMX?

G-Boy
26-04-2005, 07:48 PM
The only advice I was able to find was to try going to the MS Update site and updating MS Virtual Machine.

What lead to this error? Did you try an install anything? or uninstall?

Any hardware/driver changes recently?

-The only thing ive installed is a D-Link adsl modem, but the problem seems to have been happening a few weeks after i installed that. My Direct X is 9c which i installed months ago, and my sound and vidio drivers also installed a few months ago.

G-Boy
26-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Show all hidden files. It maybe hidden as its a system file i think.

Whats the CPU / processor in this system??? And does it support MMX?

Did that still no file. its a AMD Athlon XP1800+

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Wonder if this has anything to do with it?

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259253

Maybe a BIOS update might fix something. If u havent got the latest BIOS.

Also, have u got a SB live! soundcard?? I think this card uses this file.

G-Boy
26-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Wonder if this has anything to do with it?

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259253

Maybe a BIOS update might fix something. If u havent got the latest BIOS.

Also, have u got a SB live! soundcard?? I think this card uses this file.

Yea dont think that issue is me. How do i update the BIOS, i read that you only do this when all else fails, is this wright? I am no computer wizz..lol. My sound card is just a Nvida nforce that came with the comp. Is it risky updating the BIOS.... its dated 2002

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2005, 08:41 PM
No. Its a good idea to update the BIOS (keep it up to date).

Well first u have to figure out what brand the mobo is, and the model. Then go to the mobo maker's site. Download the BIOS update ( if there's a later version). Unzip it, then copy it (the BIOS update), to floppy (make a system floppy).

Chuck the BIOS update on the floppy, then boot from the floppy (make it the bootdisk in the BIOS). Type in whatever command to flash the BIOS update, wait for it to flash / tell u that it has finished. Thats it. Reboot. Go back into the BIOS, change it back to the hdd again.

Whats the brand/model of the motherboard??

G-Boy
26-04-2005, 11:58 PM
No. Its a good idea to update the BIOS (keep it up to date).

Well first u have to figure out what brand the mobo is, and the model. Then go to the mobo maker's site. Download the BIOS update ( if there's a later version). Unzip it, then copy it (the BIOS update), to floppy (make a system floppy).

Chuck the BIOS update on the floppy, then boot from the floppy (make it the bootdisk in the BIOS). Type in whatever command to flash the BIOS update, wait for it to flash / tell u that it has finished. Thats it. Reboot. Go back into the BIOS, change it back to the hdd again.

Whats the brand/model of the motherboard??

My Mother board is a ASUS A7N266-VM can i run the update any other way i have trouble with my floppy drive it usally dosnt work.

gibler
27-04-2005, 12:17 AM
I recommend the German Asus FTP Site (ftp://ftp.asus.de/) as they have the latest stuff.

I've found quite a few mistakes with Asus drivers such as version of the DOS flash utility that actually doesn't work with the BIOS updates. Also seen the wrong driver for on-board network (it was for fast ethernet when the motherbaord has gigabit ethernet) :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2005, 07:54 AM
My Mother board is a ASUS A7N266-VM can i run the update any other way i have trouble with my floppy drive it usally dosnt work.

Some (not all) ASUS mobos (the BIOS), can be updated from within Windows, BUT it isn't a good idea to do this.

Coz if the flashing of the BIOS freezes, (if u update it in Windows), your system is history. (It'll kill the BIOS). You'll have to get another motherboard, or replace the BIOS to fix it.

I would invest in another disk drive. They're pretty cheap these days.

True Gibler. The german site does have later updates than most of the other ASUS sites/ftps.

steamman
27-04-2005, 08:29 AM
I had same problem now cured,I checked for openGL subsection, and found it ok, then each time I download a program game,I run CD rom to autoplay, and explore then look in readme files, you will be told of the system requirements from here. as to the compatibility of your CPU. DONT install at this stage, if you install at this stage, some vital dll files could be lost,please check your CD rom first, it is in there.

Murray P
27-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Yea dont think that issue is me. How do i update the BIOS, i read that you only do this when all else fails, is this wright? I am no computer wizz..lol. My sound card is just a Nvida nforce that came with the comp. Is it risky updating the BIOS.... its dated 2002

Absolutely right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the issue isn't diagnosed, flashing the BIOS may do nothing except toast a pefectly good motherboard.

Flashing the BIOS is not a regular maintenance routine to be carried out just in case. You do it when there is a known issue that flashing will rectify.

This is more likely to be an OS, DirectX, video/soundcard driver issue than a BIOS issue. Try uninstalling DirectX (you can get a DirectX uninstaller, google), video and sound drivers. Repair your system files, reinstall DirectX and drivers.

G-Boy
27-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Absolutely right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the issue isn't diagnosed, flashing the BIOS may do nothing except toast a pefectly good motherboard.

Flashing the BIOS is not a regular maintenance routine to be carried out just in case. You do it when there is a known issue that flashing will rectify.

This is more likely to be an OS, DirectX, video/soundcard driver issue than a BIOS issue. Try uninstalling DirectX (you can get a DirectX uninstaller, google), video and sound drivers. Repair your system files, reinstall DirectX and drivers.

Ok thanks Murray, ill give it a go, but how do i repair my system files??

Murray P
27-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Ok thanks Murray, ill give it a go, but how do i repair my system files??

I'm not sure how it's done in ME, assuming it's similar to 98/98SE you use System File Checker and have your ME CD in the drive. If you have a programme like System Mechanic (or similar) it may do a better job of walking you through the process.

Be aware that you a messing with system/OS files and files vital to programmes on your computer. From what I gather, although I haven't looked for a while, the DirectX roll back utilities can cause their own issues from time to time. So, back up your important data and make sure you have a viable restore point to roll back to, if mud hits the fan. It certainly isn't as risky as flashing your BIOS though, you can always reload your OS, it's not likely to be feasible to replace your CMOS, even if one is available somewhere, if a flash goes wrong.

Anyway, do a google for the DirectX thingy and system file replacement in ME (MS KB is a good place for the latter at least, be carefull what you replace, I have no idea whether ME uses i386 files to protect patches, etc, from file replacement), think about loading a slightly older version of your video and sound drivers (probably best to use your motherboard drivers and utilities from the makers site or the original CD), but check the information (change or version log) to see what has been fixed as your starting point as to what version to load.

I have the same motherboard as you but still retain the same BIOS and drivers with the exception of an update to the video about a year ago (running win2k & Linux). As I said earlir, if there is no compelling reason to update something, don't (especially video drivers, updated versions often have no impact on older chips, sometimes they will fix a functionality bug, but that's usually withing the forst year-18 mnths of a chips release).

G-Boy
27-04-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure how it's done in ME, assuming it's similar to 98/98SE you use System File Checker and have your ME CD in the drive. If you have a programme like System Mechanic (or similar) it may do a better job of walking you through the process.

Be aware that you a messing with system/OS files and files vital to programmes on your computer. From what I gather, although I haven't looked for a while, the DirectX roll back utilities can cause their own issues from time to time. So, back up your important data and make sure you have a viable restore point to roll back to, if mud hits the fan. It certainly isn't as risky as flashing your BIOS though, you can always reload your OS, it's not likely to be feasible to replace your CMOS, even if one is available somewhere, if a flash goes wrong.

Anyway, do a google for the DirectX thingy and system file replacement in ME (MS KB is a good place for the latter at least, be carefull what you replace, I have no idea whether ME uses i386 files to protect patches, etc, from file replacement), think about loading a slightly older version of your video and sound drivers (probably best to use your motherboard drivers and utilities from the makers site or the original CD), but check the information (change or version log) to see what has been fixed as your starting point as to what version to load.

I have the same motherboard as you but still retain the same BIOS and drivers with the exception of an update to the video about a year ago (running win2k & Linux). As I said earlir, if there is no compelling reason to update something, don't (especially video drivers, updated versions often have no impact on older chips, sometimes they will fix a functionality bug, but that's usually withing the forst year-18 mnths of a chips release).

Hey thanks very much for all your help Murray, and anybody else reading this that has given advise, Ive gone back to an older sound driver and "touch wood" the problem hasnt happend yet. not that it happened 100% of the time. If i still have no joy then ill look at the system file fix.... :badpc:

steamman
28-04-2005, 08:53 AM
You should find that motherboard makers have provission for BIOS updates, should be for free.BIOS settings are normally safe providing that the battery condition is good, the battery should last quite a while but if it runs down,you may get an incorrect error message can be seen on start up.You will find on switch on that BIOS defaults could be gone. Unfortunately you may have to enter setup and reset CMOS. Try if you can look in setup and copy down the settings on the CMOS screens.prior to changing bettery.