PDA

View Full Version : aah. Click if you know linux

JimboJones
26-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, windows crashed, wouldn't start up again(not even in safemode ). So I installed linux on my pc to backup my files from C: drive before I reinstalled windows. After I installed windows. I couldn't boot back into linux (mandrake 9.2) to get my files on usb.

I tried "upgrading" my linux installation to fix linux, but when it does it partitioning stuff, it has a error. Is their any way I can get my files back from my linux partition?

beama
26-04-2005, 12:49 PM
You could try one of the live cds, Knoppix, Mepis or I believe there is also Mandrake live cd.

Basicly what you have done when you installed windows is, windows has overwritten your boot loader with its own and the windows boot loader dont play nice with linux (doesnt reconise non windows formats ie ext file systems).

There is proberly a way of recovering your data by doing a repair install of Mandrake but I've never used mandrake so I'm not sure on this but there are many other forum members that will know.

ILikeLinux
26-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Did you use lilo or grub for your boot loader?

Graham L
26-04-2005, 04:00 PM
You should be able to "upgrade" a linux installation to the same version without damaging anything. It shouldn't do any partitioning. But the Mandrake installation CD has a "rescue" mode, which will let you fix the boot manager. LILO is easiest, but I have done Grub from time to time. (Now I just make sure I have a copy of the first sector of the disk stored in a few places, including on a floppy. dd if=/dev/hda of=bootsec.dat count=1 bs=512 makes it. )

If you just want to get the files, a live CD Linux will do that.

JimboJones
26-04-2005, 08:49 PM
I fixed the bootloader so I could boot linux after windows install,

Linux has a error and doesn't boot (some partition error or something),

Repair option on linux cd doesn't work (gives me a partition error I think)

Reinstall linux doesn't work eighter (partition error) and i'll porbally loose my files if I use that option

I'll try Knoppix, Mepis or Mandrake live cd. Do they support usb drives cause I found "dam small linux" (which is the wierdest unfunctional thing I've got)
and it doesn't support usb drives or can go into my windows partitions.

jamesyboi
28-04-2005, 11:41 AM
reinstall windows and order a free update CD from them so you get all the security patches before you go online. 6 virus aint good....

As for linuk, installation may have repair feature, if u still have setup?

JimboJones
28-04-2005, 11:49 AM
... Knoppix is 700mb. Is their a smaller way to access my linux partitions and able to put them on usb, cd or directly back into my windows partition?

mird
28-04-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Take your pick ;)

Once you've got everything up and running again it might be useful to build a bootable WindowsPE CD to help out in the event this sort of thing happens again. Check out Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (http://www.ubcd4win.com/) and PEBuilder (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) for more info.

Murray P
28-04-2005, 07:06 PM
You might want to investigate the reason for Windows to crash and then become inaccessible, and for the Linux partition to be likwise be inaccessible. It could be that there is a hardware (drive) or filesystem problem.

I've had more success booting Mepis than I have with Knoppix when I have had issues. Are you anywhere in the greater Wellington region?

The other option, as mentioned above, is to use a rescue CD. I used EBCD to repair my MBR last night, you may have to delete the Linux partition though, depending on where it's boot loader is installed. If it's the same partition as Windows, IIRC, there are no worries (check to confirm that) but, if the Linux loader is installed on the Linux partition it will continue to over ride the Windows boot loader unless you can wipe it.

Of course, that is all moot if you can boot to, or access your files via a live CD (or floppy) of some sort.

dolby digital
28-04-2005, 07:54 PM
You might want to investigate the reason for Windows to crash and then become inaccessible, and for the Linux partition to be likwise be inaccessible. It could be that there is a hardware (drive) or filesystem problem.

If you have a partition manager, this could be the time to use it... :confused:

Altec_
29-04-2005, 12:32 AM
I believe it's "Mandriva" now ^_^

I think that is icky. Sorry I couldn't help your plight.

Graham L
29-04-2005, 03:15 PM
If the Linux partition is corrupted, you might have troubles recovering anything. dd will get things, but not as usable files. If just the partition table is messed up, the information will still be there (unless MS did their automatic formatting act).

With a Linux live CD boot, use cfdisk (or fdisk) to look at the disk. You might be able to (very carefully) remake the partition table. Leave the Windows partition alone, but you might be able to remake the Linux partitions (just their table entries with fdisk, not doing any formatting afterwards). You will need to remember how big and what type they were. This is often a problem. ;) But if you can make the partition table right, you will probably be able to boot from it again.