PDA

View Full Version : Nortons Antivirus 2005

Woof
25-04-2005, 09:45 PM
A friend has bought an upgrade disk (I think) for Norton Anti Virus 2005 and now cannot 'do' Outlook Express email.

He double clicks on the desktop icon as per usual but the Outlook Express that opens has NO mail.

I have suggersted that he uses Windows Explorer to search for *.dbx and then to look at the file sizes for a clue as to whether or not they are his pre-existing mailbox files or instead look like empties as you would get in a fresh installation of OE - just in case Nortons has over-written with a fresh installation of OE as well (said friend may have inadvertantly clicked "yes" to such a question of Nortons during installation)

As I have absolutley NO experience with Nortons I cannot help my friend much so if anyone here can shed some possible light on the matter we/he would be most grateful

PS: He is very much a newbie and his terminology reflects that, particularly when he is as ultra-frustrated with his pc as he is at the moment ....

mzee
26-04-2005, 01:06 AM
You can not have Norton Anti Virus checking Email at the same time as your Fire Wall. I prefer to leave it to the Fire Wall (Zone Alarm) as Norton is very slow at scanning Mail.
Grisoft Anti Vir 7 also has a problem with Email.
Nod32 anti virus has no problems with Email or Fire Walls.

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2005, 08:46 AM
You can not have Norton Anti Virus checking Email at the same time as your Fire Wall. I prefer to leave it to the Fire Wall (Zone Alarm) as Norton is very slow at scanning Mail.
Grisoft Anti Vir 7 also has a problem with Email.
Nod32 anti virus has no problems with Email or Fire Walls.

What exactly do u mean u cant scan email the same time as your firewall?

You mean when the firewall is on?? Of course u can. I do, it works fine. (BUT this is Norton's firewall not XP's, or ZA.

Nah Nortons wouldnt install over OE or its files. BUT I've read there are a few flaws in 2005. I used to use NIS 2005 with the firewall. Too many bugs/errors, so I went back to NIS 2003.

What firewall is ur mate using Woof (if he's got one running). I would check the AV prefs. See what options are ticked, and what isnt ticked.

Trev
26-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I run both Norton AV 2005 and Zone alarm Pro and have no problems with email.
As said above check your friends settings.

Trevor:)

pctek
26-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I seem to be missing where the original question even mentions a firewall.
But I would turn off email scanning in Nortons for a start.