PDA

View Full Version : Getting Linux to connect to internet (ADSL)

PocketProtector
25-04-2005, 05:02 PM
I have just installed Linux (Mandrake Limited Edition 2005 RC2 apparently :)) onto my PC (single boot) which is plugged into a 4 port ADSL router. The NIC seems to be detected okay, and the PC seems to be able to see the router okay as the IP address gets assigned by the router and that worked okay.

However I don't know how to get it to actually get onto the internet :annoyed: - I wouldn't even know where to start. I have tried reconfiguring the NIC a couple of times using the "Configure your computer" option from the menu, but all the settings seem to look okay. I tried telling it that it was an ADSL connection, but then didn't know what to pick (DHCP, PPPoA, PPPoE, Manual TCP/IP, and a couple of others I can't remember), PPPoE (which it suggested as most common) kept telling me it couldn't find the device or something? DHCP just went on as if it was using the regular NIC (which seemed correct to me) but it still didn't work. What do I have to do to get onto the net?

My other PC (the one I'm typing this from) is connected happily to the router via Windows XP... I'm not (at this stage) trying to talk to the Windows PC, so I don't think it would come down to a samba or similar issue would it?

I am a complete Linux n00b, so be gentle :) I've tried to play with Linux a couple of times over the last 3 or 4 years, but never really had much luck. Now that I have a spare PC to install it solely on to have a play with (and maybe get a web-server running on eventually) I've decided to reinstall and give it a go... but if I can't get onto the net, then its not really worth the effort, is it?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
PP.

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Can the Linux machine ping the router? Can the Linux machine ping the XP machine or vice versa?

PocketProtector
25-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Interesting... Just thought I'd have another go and tried changing one more setting - changed the default DNS address settings to the ISPs DNS settings (was set automatically to the router's IP address), and well here I am now posting from the Linux box.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway Aurealis_ - can you tell me how I'd go about pinging either the router or the XP box from Linux? Is it as simple as opening a terminal window and typing "ping <windows box IP>"?

Thanks again,
PP.

Jen
25-04-2005, 05:15 PM
So when you open up a web browser (Konqueror or Mozilla), nothing happens? You just get page not found?

You using a ethernet cable and not USB to connect to the modem/router? In Linux terms, your ethernet network card device is referred to eth0.

It should of neeed no configuration to get working. Go back and make sure you have selected DHCP. You shouldn't need to put in a gateway IP (this would of been the router's IP). This rest should be defaulted to the correct setting with DHCP.

Try pinging the router. Open up a Terminal (Konsole) window to get to a command line, and then enter in:

ping -c4 <IP of router>

Also try pinging www.google.co.nz and 66.102.7.147.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Edit: Ah, I see you have it working now - excellent :)
I have given instructions above on how to ping in Linux. If you don't specify how many pings with the -c<number> eg -c4, then it will not stop pinging until you go CTRL-C.