PDA

View Full Version : Search In XP says "no results immediately"

Term_X
25-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi folks :-)

tried searching on my pc for files and it regardless of what i enter in the search fields, it says no results immediately. Tested it on files i know the location of and the same thing says no results.. any ideas? everything on the pc is running fine.

Jen
25-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Very odd. Has it always done this, if not can you remember making any changes that might of influenced this?

Have you got fast indexing turned on? If you do, try disabling it and then running your search again. To disable fast indexing go Start > Run and enter in services.msc. Looking for "Indexing Service" and double click on it. Set the Startup type to Manual or Disable. Click OK. Doing this rules out Fast Indexing interferring with your search returns.

pctek
25-04-2005, 04:45 PM
I find Windows search quite useless really. Often doesn't find something I know is there. A 3rd party file searcher is better. Seem to remeber PCWorld mag had one on the CD once?

Metla
25-04-2005, 05:15 PM
A guess would be that your directing it to seach an empty directory, see if you can point it at your entire HD.

E|im
25-04-2005, 05:19 PM
If you do, try disabling it and then running your search again. To disable fast indexing go Start > Run and enter in services.msc. Looking for "Indexing Service" and double click on it. Set the Startup type to Manual or Disable. Click OK. Doing this rules out Fast Indexing interferring with your search returns.
Do you still have an Indexing Service with XP SP2? I can't find it anymore and I wonder if they took it out with SP2 or something.

Jen
25-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Do you still have an Indexing Service with XP SP2? I can't find it anymore and I wonder if they took it out with SP2 or something.Have no idea. Don't run XP here to check this out sorry.

I did forget one other part, not sure how relevant it is to do if you have already disabled the Indexing service, and that is to right click on the C drive icon under My Computers > Properties. Remove the tick beside "Allow indexing services etc".

FoxyMX
25-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Do you still have an Indexing Service with XP SP2? I can't find it anymore and I wonder if they took it out with SP2 or something.
Mine is still there but I disabled it upon installing WinXP (with SP1) so I don't know whether SP2 noticed that and left it alone when I did all the updates. Look a bit harder, perhaps? You are looking in Services, aren't you?

saikou
26-04-2005, 11:42 AM

It is still there.

It's even on Server 2003 SP1 though I dunno why.

sal
26-04-2005, 12:26 PM
The indexing service can be enabled or disabled from the HDD Properties. Right click C: (or similar) > Properties, it should be the last check box at the bottom.

Term_X
26-04-2005, 06:17 PM
forgot to check the post! thanks for the help guys oh and gals *smiles at Jen*. there were some advanced options not checked in the search so i ticked those and also setup the fast indexing service which once that was done i started to get normal search results.

ill have a look again to see what options i had to check to ensure i got normal results

Cheers!

Term X

E|im
26-04-2005, 08:43 PM
http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/services.jpg

That's what my services list looks like. No indexing service. For the people that do have it, did you do a SP2 upgrade or a slipstream install?

FoxyMX
27-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Mine is definitely there, between the IMAPI and IPSEC entries. It has also been on every Win XP machine with and without SP2 that I have come across so far and I know this because I routinely disable it.

My SP2 was updated with the MS SP2 update CD but others I have come across have downloaded SP2 with the usual updates.

It is weird how yours has disappeared. :stare: