PDA

View Full Version : Annoying display issue

miknz
25-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Over the past few weeks I have had a strange "shimmy" type effect occour whenever I play any game that goes fullscreen. This shimmy seems to start after about 5 mins of game play and can be fixed by either turning off the screen for about 10secs or hitting alt+tab and resizing the desktop from 800x600 to 1024x768 or vise versa.

Our computer is only 3 months old and I have done very little to it, I did have my tnt2 card installed for a while but took it out when the screen started playing up(removing it did not stop the shimmy). :badpc:

It seems strange to me that simply turning the screen off stops the shaking! Does this mean the screen is shot? Is it ok to have a lcd just infront of the main pc box and have the speakers either side of the screen, can anything interfair with the screen? any other ideads?

Cheers
Mike

Packard Bell 2.6 256 ram winxphome
17" Packard Bell LCD screen

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Hmmmmm, weird problem. Do you have access to another monitor? If you can plug another one in and see if it still happens we will see whether it is a problem with your monitor or your hardware.

Now for some questions: Which games does this 'shimmy' occurr in? What graphics is your computer currently using? Does the 'shimmy' occurr in all resolutions you run games at? Does running the game in a window stop the 'shimmy' from occurring? What is the Model Number of your screen and Computer?

As for your question about the screen, it can be as close to the computer case as comfort allows. LCDs' don't have the large magnetic tube that CRTs' do and therefore don't have the same weakness to magnetic interference. However, some models can generate excess heat when used for long periods so one does need to provide adequate ventilation.

pctek
25-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Your LCD will have a native resolution of at least 1024x768 and your graphics card can't cope with games at high res. Its to do with the refresh rate.
Upgrade your graphics card.

miknz
25-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi,

Am currently in 1024x768 mode at 32 bit and was just surfing the net and it started the shimmy thing so I turned it off then back on again and it returned to normal. the current display is set to :monitor Slimview 500 Packard Bell on SiS 651C

There is heaps of ventilation around the screen so it shouldnt be over heating.

The only other screen I have is an old 15" crt that is shot to bits. I would have thought that if I can fix the problem by just turning the screen on and off it would be a moniter issue and not software related???

Mike

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Test it with the CRT first and see what happens. It could be either the computer or the monitor... It's also possible that the graphics card can't handle that resolution. Try running the games at 640x480 and see if that fixes it.

saikou
26-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Test it with the CRT first and see what happens. It could be either the computer or the monitor... It's also possible that the graphics card can't handle that resolution. Try running the games at 640x480 and see if that fixes it.

My TNT2 could do 1024x768 fine. I reckon it's gotta be the monitor if turning it off and on gets it back to normal.

godfather
26-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Display adaptors produce digital display data and then they convert that to analogue for the VGA port.

The LCD is probably being fed via Analogue, and it then reconverts to Digital. In doing so it has to "map" the signal to the right pixels, and it sounds like it is getting confused in doing so.

All analogue (VGA connected) LCDs should have an "auto setup" button where this is done. Try pressing that.

miknz
26-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Just tryed the auto set up thing and it seemed to work when I adjusted the "Phase" back around zero, will see how it goes tonight