PDA

View Full Version : AGP times four or eight for this video card

shomenno
25-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Hello

I am looking to purchase a second hand graphics card, it is an Albatron GeForce 6800 GT 8 times AGP card. I am in the throws of up grading my computer, I have not got the new motherboard as of yet (which will be 8 times AGP). My question is this, the web sight appears to suggest that either a times 4 or eight slot is needed. It is definately a times eight card. Am I right in assuming that it will work on my current times four AGP motherboard? Below is the link.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/vga/specification.asp?pro_id=106#

Thank you for any help on this matter... Shomenno

Mirddes
25-04-2005, 02:40 PM
yep it will work, but it will be throttled back to 4x

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 03:01 PM
The card will run fine on AGP 8x, however it will be throttled to the equivalent speed of 4x. I definitely do recommend that you plan to upgrade to AGP 8x in the future though.

You could even go with PCI-Express if you feel like it. Tell me more of your computers specs and I'll see if there's a good PCI-E motherboard out there to suit your system.

pctek
25-04-2005, 03:05 PM
The card will run fine on AGP 8x, however it will be throttled to the equivalent speed of 4x. I definitely do recommend that you plan to upgrade to AGP 8x in the future though.

You could even go with PCI-Express if you feel like it. Tell me more of your computers specs and I'll see if there's a good PCI-E motherboard out there to suit your system.
That would then make the current 6800GT obsolete. PCI-E boards don't have an AGP slot.

The card is great - just upgrade to a new AGP based board will be fine.

shomenno
25-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Well I know I need a new graphics card and memory and thus a motherboard. I am opting for the AGP card as it is for sale second hand and thus cheaper than a new one. I figure the second hand card is better than a PCI 6600 GT with 256mb. So the compromise is an AGP based motherboard, this is no big deal as I have four cards in my current machine and so PCI slots are more important to me - PCIe based motherboards dont seem to have many PCI slots.

The question is also arround whether I should change CPU's too. Currently have a P4 (Northwood) 2.53 with a 133 FSB and 533 bus speed. The alternatve to this would be an AMD athalon 64 3500+ cpu. Its all dont to the extra cash and speed gains and I am not sure?

Will go for 1 Gig DDR 400.

Any suggestions with regard to motherboards given the above and the CPU (being worth upgrading - in real terms).

Cheers... Shomennno

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 05:22 PM
That would then make the current 6800GT obsolete. PCI-E boards don't have an AGP slot.

The card is great - just upgrade to a new AGP based board will be fine.

Indeed it would Pctek, I should have been more clear. What I meant was that shomenno could go with a complete PCI-E setup instead, seeing as he already has plans to upgrade the motherboard.

FoxyMX
25-04-2005, 08:43 PM
The question is also arround whether I should change CPU's too. Currently have a P4 (Northwood) 2.53 with a 133 FSB and 533 bus speed. The alternatve to this would be an AMD athalon 64 3500+ cpu. Its all dont to the extra cash and speed gains and I am not sure?

Will go for 1 Gig DDR 400.

Any suggestions with regard to motherboards given the above and the CPU (being worth upgrading - in real terms).
What do you use your computer for? Are you a gamer? If so, then upgrading the CPU will make a bit of difference, particularly if you upgrade everything else, eg the graphics card and more RAM.

If you are not a gamer then you won't notice a significant increase in speed to justify upgrading the CPU at this stage. A little, yes, but not a great deal because the P4 2.53 is not really a slug. Upgrading your graphics card and increasing the RAM will be more sensible. The only catch is that if your current motherboard can only support a 4x graphics card then I am not sure what kind of improvement you would get with a new card.

PaulD
25-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Don't get too hung up on graphics card "potential". Very few gaming applications make that much of the bandwidth available through the AGP slot, let alone PCI-E.

E|im
25-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Don't get too hung up on graphics card "potential". Very few gaming applications make that much of the bandwidth available through the AGP slot, let alone PCI-E.
Yeah to add to that Ati have recently brought out their X850 XT PE onto AGP and it still does very well.

I wouldn't really recommend a high end card going into an old board with a 4x slot. I remember buying a Radeon 9800 Pro and putting it in my old system (2400+ with 384MB of PC-133 RAM, AGP 4x). Gameplay was worse than a MX440, very laggy etc. So I would say it's not a good idea to pair a 6800GT with an old chipset/CPU/RAM because the rest of the system will be a rather large bottleneck for the graphics card.

What you're really looking at is a full system upgrade or replacement, so I can see costs escalating. Depending on the rest of the system you could probably salvage the floppy drive, CD-RW/DVDRW and maybe the monitor and sell the rest on Trademe if you wanted to recover some costs.

xmojo1
27-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Albatron and Elitegroup make mobos that support both AGP express AND PCI-e graphics slot.

tweak'e
27-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Albatron and Elitegroup make mobos that support both AGP express AND PCI-e graphics slot.
if i remeber correctly the AGP slot in those is an offshoot of the pci bus and runs at pci bus speeds which means a high end AGP vid card will run like crap. usefull for budget agp cards tho.