PDA

View Full Version : Burner Issues.

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I have a system with Nero 5.5 Express, a SONY CD-RW/DVD-ROM CRX320E.

The drive doesn't burn CDs' though.

It can: -Read DVDs'
-Read CDs'
-Read CDs' to ISO

Anyone got any suggestions? I tried searching for CRX320E Firmware updates but there weren't any listed on Sony's website.

Overdrive_5000
25-04-2005, 01:50 PM
That doesnt make any sense a CD-RW that cant burn CDs ? :@@:

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2005, 01:50 PM
If u have XP and SP2 get version 6.

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Overdrive: Yes, It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make me happy either. :badpc:

Speedy: I'm running Win 2000 w/ SP4.

pctek
25-04-2005, 03:09 PM
What happens if you try? Are you using Nero to write to the CDs? Have you tried different brands of CD media? What speed is the CDRW? And what speed media are you using?

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 03:19 PM
What happens if you try? Are you using Nero to write to the CDs? Have you tried different brands of CD media? What speed is the CDRW? And what speed media are you using?

What happens if you try? -Only Image Recorder is listed as a burner.
Are you using Nero to write to the CDs? -Yes (Drive is not listed as a burner)
Have you tried different brands of CD media? -Yes (Sony, TDK and Transonic)
What speed is the CDRW? -52x CD-R, not sure about RW
And what speed media are you using? -36x, 40x and 48x

Thought I'd clarify that it neither burns CD-Rs' or CD-RWs'

Alan Cotrell
25-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Your problem is the drive is only showing as an "Image Burner" two reasons for this.

Either you need to change Image Burner to Sony CDRW from the drop down list or if there is no other option available you are using the wrong Nero software for your drive.

Bundled versions of Nero will only work with the brand of drive they are supplied with, if you try using with another brand of drive they will only work as an image recorder in Demo mode.

This seems to be the most likely cause of your problem.

Regards

AC

tweak'e
25-04-2005, 03:51 PM
have you got the latest upgrade? nero may not support that drive (even if the software was bundled with the drive).

Metla
25-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I would agree with Alan that this would be the most likely cause,though its worth noting that 90% of oem Nero's are not tied into the drive in anyway, You can tell by looking at the CD, the Samsungs for example come with a Samsung cd containing Nero and a couple of other apps,Lite-on,Asus and other "better" brands just come with a red nero cd, which can be used with anything.

tweak'e
25-04-2005, 04:02 PM
sorry i can't agree on that metla. every bundled nero i have seen has been tied to the cd drive .all have been the proper nero disk.

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Alright then, I'll try a different version of Nero. I couldn't find any upgrades for the Drive available. I'll check to see if there are any Nero patches.

UPDATE: Resolved it! Downloaded the Nero 5.5 to 5.5.10.6 patch,installed and now it's working. Beautiful. Cheers for the suggestions guys.

Metla
25-04-2005, 05:00 PM
sorry i can't agree on that metla. every bundled nero i have seen has been tied to the cd drive .all have been the proper nero disk.

Roflmao.

Gimmie an address,i'll send you ten Nero cd's you can install one after another on your comp that will all work fine.

Disagree indeed.

Alan Cotrell
26-04-2005, 01:07 AM
"Gimmie an address,i'll send you ten Nero cd's you can install one after another on your comp that will all work fine"

These will be OEM versions of Nero as opposed to bundled, the difference being the OEM versions are normally shipped with bare drives (no retail packaging commonly used by PC builders) and will work with most drives.

The bundled variety ships with retail versions of drives and are included in the retail package it is very rare to be able to get one of these versions to work with another brand of drive.

However both of the above statements have exceptions to the rule.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

AC

Metla
26-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Confusion?

Heres a course of action for ya,pull open a retail package,look at the Nero CD, it says OEM,Not for seperate sale.

What does that tell you?,it tells you the vast majority of the time the only difference between retail and OEM is the cardbard box,not the software.

The OEM copies of Nero are churned out by the thousands and packaged with everything they can get em in,certainly very few of them are currently keyed into a specific drive.

Hope that clears up your confusion.

Granted I throw out the cd's that are tied onto specific drives,so my collection has been narrowed down to usable cd's,though they have come from a variety of different drives,sources,packages, so its quite likely I have handpicked the abnormalities.

Alan Cotrell
26-04-2005, 02:07 AM
"Confusion?

Heres a course of action for ya,pull open a retail package,look at the Nero CD, it says OEM,Not for seperate sale.

What does that tell you?,it tells you the vast majority of the time the only difference between retail and OEM is the cardbard box,not the software.

The OEM copies of Nero are churned out by the thousands and packaged with everything they can get em in,certainly very few of them are currently keyed into a specific drive.

Hope that clears up your confusion."

The difference only becomes apparent when you go to run Nero, if you have the wrong CD matched to the CDRW you are using the Licence info will tell you it is "Bundled" and you need to get a retail version or supply a serial to be able to use Nero in anything other than Image Recorder mode.

A two second perusal of google will clearly prove to you that this is the case and as far as I can remember always has been.

Just in case you need further proof that your wrong you can go here to Neros own FAQ http://ww2.nero.com/us/FAQs_Nero5.html#13 and see for yourself that they say, quote

"13. Nero came bundled with my recorder. Can I use it with other recorders on my computer?

OEM bundled versions of Nero will only work with the recorder they came with. We offer this option to our OEMs to be able to offer the software to OEMs at a even lower price.

If you wish to use your software with another drive, you have to purchase an upgrade to Nero 6. The upgrade changes your OEM version to a retail version providing full features. Please visit our Onlineshop for information and pricing"

Once again hope this time it clarifies the licencing situation for you.

Regards

AC

AMD1
26-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Roflmao.

Gimmie an address,i'll send you ten Nero cd's you can install one after another on your comp that will all work fine.

Disagree indeed.

How do I install 10 copies of Nero on my computer?
Are they all the same version? I already run Nero on my computer. Will it burn faster if I install 10 copies?

I have one physical DVD/CDR burner and four virtual drives wich act as CDs or DVDs courtesy of Alcohol 120%

Sounds a little like your offer of heaps of backplates for computers of which you had millions. :2cents:

Waiting to be banned again and to quote Rhett Butler, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Metla
26-04-2005, 02:56 AM
No skin off my nose If you can't comprehend that there thousands of OEM cd's that aren't keyed into a specific drive.And that they can come bundled in retail packaging.

I might also point out that Samsung oem bundles(no packaging) have a cd locked into the drive,directly the oposite of what you put foward earlier.And that the CD's I have came out of retail boxes (mainly ASUS and Lite-on),again the direct oposite of what you have stated.

But like I said,No skin off my nose.

Metla
26-04-2005, 03:02 AM
How do I install 10 copies of Nero on my computer?
Are they all the same version? I already run Nero on my computer. Will it burn faster if I install 10 copies?

I have one physical DVD/CDR burner and four virtual drives wich act as CDs or DVDs courtesy of Alcohol 120%

Sounds a little like your offer of heaps of backplates for computers of which you had millions. :2cents:

Waiting to be banned again and to quote Rhett Butler, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

This is what happens when stupid people think they are writing something clever.