PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard problem

Dire
24-04-2005, 11:47 PM
My Chaintech AV-710 has now worked for a half year perfectly after the installation until today, when there appeared some problems.

I was testing a new microphone with Windows' "mic program" and it looked like it worked. After that I clicked next in the program and it started doing something. The window freezed and I had to shut it down.

Well, I just heard a beep voice coming from the mobo and checked my soundcard with Winamp. Just beeps, when I try to play some songs. I check my soundcards software "Audio Deck", which is used to change the master volume and other settings. It just beeps and it won't open. I can open Audio Deck from Cntrol panel and it gives a messsage saying: Error: ReqQueryValueEx.

So, I thought reinstalling would work. I uninstalled all drivers from the soundcard. New install and boot. Again the same problem. Audio Deck won't open and no sound files will play. I tried four different versions of drivers with the card and none worked.

I came to the conclusion that Windows might have installed something to disable the card. Does anyone know what does Windows do when running "the mic wizard/test window"?

I really don't know what I could do anymore and am now trying if someone here knows what have I done. Will formatting be the last option?

My PCs specs are AMD xp 2600+, KT6 Delta, 512 ram, Maxtor 80gt, Radeon 9600pro, WinXP home with sp2.

Jen
24-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi Dire, Welcome to PressF1

Try going Start > Run > dxdiag. Try the sound tests and see what gets reported.

You might want to try and uninstall the soundcard itself via the Hardware Manager. Try uninstalling it, rebooting XP and let it redetect the card. Then reinstall the drivers again. See if this helps.

Dire
25-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Dire, Welcome to PressF1

Try going Start > Run > dxdiag. Try the sound tests and see what gets reported.

You might want to try and uninstall the soundcard itself via the Hardware Manager. Try uninstalling it, rebooting XP and let it redetect the card. Then reinstall the drivers again. See if this helps.

Thanks for the fast reply.

That's pretty much my problem. On the sound section Windows doesn't even recognize a soundcard. I have several times tried to uninstall the card and Windows will find a new "multimedia card" when booted. I will run the installation wizard and install the drivers. After boot Windows doesn't recognize the card anymore. The Audio Deck, the program which is used to set the card up, is still installed, but it won't open. Just gives the message "Error: ReqQueryValueEx".

I saw a very close problem to mine here (http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t5166.html) and am just wondering what does "allowing non decorated drivers" mean?

Thanks for the replies :)

Dire
25-04-2005, 05:51 AM
Anyone?

pctek
25-04-2005, 09:34 AM
I saw a very close problem to mine here (http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t5166.html) and am just wondering what does "allowing non decorated drivers" mean?
)
decorated INF section
An INF file section whose name contains a suffix ("decoration") that identifies a particular platform and/or operating system. For example, [SourceDisksNames.x86] and [aha154x.ntx86] are examples of decorated section names. Decorated sections contain installation information that is only relevant to the platform and/or operating system specified by the suffix.

Which seems to me to be a complicated way of saying its got to be the right driver for your O/S.

Dire
25-04-2005, 09:38 AM
decorated INF section
An INF file section whose name contains a suffix ("decoration") that identifies a particular platform and/or operating system. For example, [SourceDisksNames.x86] and [aha154x.ntx86] are examples of decorated section names. Decorated sections contain installation information that is only relevant to the platform and/or operating system specified by the suffix.

Which seems to me to be a complicated way of saying its got to be the right driver for your O/S.

So, what do I have to do to allow non decorated drivers? Or am I already going to the wrong direction, because before that "mess up" the normal installation went through nicely?

pctek
25-04-2005, 10:04 AM
So, what do I have to do to allow non decorated drivers? Or am I already going to the wrong direction, because before that "mess up" the normal installation went through nicely?
Wrong direction I'd say.
Uninstall everything related to sound, inc the software as well as drivers.
Then start again with your soundcard driver first.

Dire
25-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Wrong direction I'd say.
Uninstall everything related to sound, inc the software as well as drivers.
Then start again with your soundcard driver first.

I have done that. Windows detects a new media device and I let it install the drivers from my cd. I have already tested three other newer drivers from the web. None have worked. So, am I in the position to format the PC? I haven't tested the card with another PC, should I?

Aurealis_
25-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I have done that. Windows detects a new media device and I let it install the drivers from my cd. I have already tested three other newer drivers from the web. None have worked. So, am I in the position to format the PC? I haven't tested the card with another PC, should I?

Yup. Or even test it in a different PCI slot. Sometimes that works.