PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Maori words translation

Renmoo
24-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Hello people, I've been reading a book titled "The New Net goes Fishing" by Witi Ihimaera when I stumble upon a Maori phrase which I don't understand. It says:

Ka pai e tama. Ka pai. Kua u nei koe ki tena taumata o te matauranga

Can anyone tell me what does in mean in English?

Cheers :)

vinref
24-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Hello people, I've been reading a book titled "The New Net goes Fishing" by Witi Ihimaera when I stumble upon a Maori phrase which I don't understand. It says:

Ka pai e tama. Ka pai. Kua u nei koe ki tena taumata o te matauranga

Can anyone tell me what does in mean in English?

Ka pai e Tama - Good Tama

Ka pai - Good

Kua u nei... - This/Today/Now is the start of your understanding (?) My translation of this phrase cannot be trusted!

beetle
24-04-2005, 11:19 PM
says something along the lines of

"well done my child," - ka pai e tama
good / well done ka pai

and yeah im to slow similar as vinref says

Renmoo
24-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Ka pai e Tama - Good Tama

What is Tama? As in child?

beetle
24-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Tama = son or boy child

Matauranga = information, knowledge, education

vinref
24-04-2005, 11:30 PM
What is Tama? As in child?

May mean child as beetle mentions, or may be a proper name. Is there a child named Tama in the book (sadly, I have not read it)?

Renmoo
25-04-2005, 12:17 AM
May mean child as beetle mentions, or may be a proper name. Is there a child named Tama in the book (sadly, I have not read it)?
There is a boy named Tama, but he is not associated with this part of the phrase which I need a bit of translation.

Myth
25-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Ka pai e tama. Ka pai. Kua u nei koe ki tena taumata o te matauranga I think it is something like this:

'Well done boy. Well done. This now is your summit of understanding."

Basically the same as what vinref said.

Note: tama can mean boy, or man (if spoken by one of the elders)

Renmoo
26-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks people! :thumbs:

Renmoo
26-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Another question:

What does kai moana means? As in fishes?
What is paua, pipi and kina? Are they some sort of fishes?

Aurealis_
26-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Another question:

Kai Moana is sea-food

Kai = food, Moana = sea

John H
26-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Another question:

(snip)

Paua = a shellfish called abalone in other countries. Paua has a beautiful opalescent shell often made into jewellery. The flesh of the most common kind here is black, and very tough unless handled properly. Mostly people only eat the foot, but it is relatively common for people to eat the gut sack raw or cooked. The foot is usually pounded (like some people do to steak) before cooking to make it tender. A very well prepared paua is delicate and delicious. Can be fried in steaks or minced and made into patties/fritters. Some people cook it in cream - very rich.

Pipi = a relatively common bivalve shellfish found on many sandy beaches - white flesh, very sweet, commonly eaten raw or minced up and made into patties/fritters. Similar to tuatua and the prince of this family - toheroa.

Kina - sea urchin or sea egg - a spiny shellfish that eats seaweed. Commonly people eat the yellow gonads (they are rich and creamy at the right time of the year, or nasty, thin and bitter at the wrong time), but hardier souls than me crack the shells, stir up all the contents into a soupy mix and swallow the lot - most of which is half digested seaweed with a VERY strong iodine taste.

Renmoo
27-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Another question:

Add to the list, what is pupu?

wotz
27-04-2005, 08:57 AM
start with the easy ones here am i tin o cocoa

Renmoo
27-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Need even more help, what is "whakapapa" and "mokopuna"?

vinref
27-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Need even more help, what is "whakapapa" and "mokopuna"?

Whakapapa ~ ancestry/lineage

Mokopuna ~ descendents/children

Myth
27-04-2005, 06:18 PM
As for a pupu; I think that is another type of shellfish; also known as a Cats Eye

John H
27-04-2005, 07:14 PM
As for a pupu; I think that is another type of shellfish; also known as a Cats Eye

That is correct - it looks a bit like a snail, not very large, lives on rocks in the intertidal zone, and the operculum (the thing that seals off the opening in the shell and protects the animal itself) gives it the Cats Eye name - it is a round piece of pearly shell that looks like a cat's eye. People eat them (raw or cooked? - certainly cooked) by hooking the beastie out of its shell with a pin. Pupu shells are quite commonly taken over by hermit crabs. Some people call them bubus (i.e. pronounced booboos). Not sure why, but it probably has its origin in a Pākehā mispronunciation.

Mokopuna may certainly mean descendants or children (I am unsure about that) but its most common usage means grandchildren, great grandchildren etc.

Renmoo
27-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks people. More to come.....

sezy
18-09-2006, 10:33 AM
hey
kai moana means seafood. paua pipi and kini are all seafood.

sezy
18-09-2006, 10:38 AM
hey can any one translate this whakatauki. it is: he aha ta te tangata i whakakare ai, mehemea kaore raatou e whakakare ana i o raatou hoa?
(im double voweling for macrons.)
i know it means something like what can you be proud of if you are not proud of your friends. am i right?

lazydog
18-09-2006, 10:46 AM
You can learn about it Here (http://www.korero.maori.nz/forlearners/basics)

I'm learning a bit each day. My memory ain't what it used to be though so i'm forgetting as fast as i'm learning:D

theother1
18-09-2006, 03:02 PM
What is with the necrophilia here? This thread is 18 months old

martynz
18-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Kai moana means shellfish (kai =food).
The 3 others are specific shellfish, paua are known elsewhere as abalone...come on kiwis, what are the other 2....and I'm a Welshman only been here for 3 years...lol

Mart

Laura
18-09-2006, 11:47 PM
"The other 2" were well described in John H's post (plus paua) if you scroll far enough up & read the whole thread.

martynz
19-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Something weird has happened in this thread, I'll swear I read through all the posts yesterday and didn't see those earlier ones answering the Qs about shellfish.
But why was it resurrected from last year anyway?

Martynz

Laura
19-09-2006, 11:23 PM
I guess only new member sezy - who raised it from the dead - knows that.