PDA

View Full Version : Peculiar symptom at booting

nkbjvg
24-04-2005, 03:39 AM
Hi folks,

Has any one heard about it? 2 or 3 times per week, I turn on the PC, the LED of the case turns on, the little red Led of the hard disk flickers and the fans turn on; but the PC doesn't boot up, the screen is black. After waiting few minutes, I push the front reset button and the PC boots up normally. Ctrl-alt-delete doesn't work. This problem has occured since I bought the PC, for 6 months. I made a statistics and observed that it appears more often (almost daily) when the temperature of the room is HIGHER (like 22 Celsius), when it's warm outside too. In the winter, when was very cold outside and inside was like 16 Celsius degree, the PC booted up OK. But now, in spring, it has started again, 2-3 times per week. Of course, the vendors told me that the PC worked fine when they checked it..... (They also added that they didn't have heat in the winter, at all....). I have a motherboard ASROCK P4I48 socket 478 Intel 848, and a noname power supply of 350 Watt. Can you help?

Thanks,
NKBJVG

Jen
24-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi and Welcome to PressF1 :)

22 deg C is not hot for ambient room temperature and should not interfere with the computer. I would take your machine back to the vendor and insist they look at the computer again and not fob you off. If it was only doing this 2-3 times a week, then unless they kept the machine for a week last time and tried to boot it up regularly then they might of missed this behaviour.

It is covered by warranty, let them fix it. It is a poor excuse that their workshop is not heated in winter therefore the machine doesn't have a problem, and it also sounds like a very unprofessional/uneducated comment to make. How do they think PC's operate in the warmer countries if 22 deg is too hot?!

pctek
24-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Hehe, my room in Summer gets to about 30 degrees. Pc is quite happy, its me that needs cooling then.

8__OC_KING__8
24-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Hmmmm........ Temperatures like that really shouldnt affect your pc's operation at all. My room temp is usually around the 25-30 degrees mark all the time. My cpu runs at around 78-79 degrees 24/7 (mainly because it's overclocked to abscenely high speeds).

By reading your posts i would say that its a faulty motherboard thats causing you problems, basically take it back to manufacturer and tell them to fix it, if they dont complain to head office, works every time.....he he he he he!!!!!!!!!

kjaada
24-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Had a similar prob with my first W95 puter in 95 and despite all sorts of assurances it turned out to be a puter prob.Just a coincidence that "sometimes"
it started after the temp change thing.Not sure tho if it was hardware or windows problem.

Graham L
24-04-2005, 04:04 PM
It shouldn't do that.

The vendors must stop it doing that.

:badpc:

theother1
24-04-2005, 04:28 PM
<But now, in spring, it has started again, 2-3 times per week.>Quote

Where are you? I am in Christchurch and there is no sign of spring here. In fact winter has arrived with a vengeance.

Graham L
24-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Not all our members are in the southern hemisphere. Google has found us. ;)

pctek
24-04-2005, 05:12 PM
My cpu runs at around 78-79 degrees 24/7 (mainly because it's overclocked to abscenely high speeds).

What?! Thats terrible! Overclocking or not you need some serious cooling. Are you using a different CPU cooler - not the stock one? CAse fans?? Decent size case with decent airflow?
You'll shorten the lifespan of your CPU!

Vince
24-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I like my room temperature at 23 degrees, sometimes it gets up to 25. I never experience your problem.
That "noname" power supply sounds suspitious to me.

kjaada
24-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Come on you lot
Jen and Graham L are on the right track,stop confusing the guy.(or girl)

nkbjvg
27-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Hi again folks and thanks for your advices,

The sympton appears when the temperature of the room is higher, that's what I saw. I forgot to mention that in the first 10 days after buying it, the PC booted up fine. The symptom started the second day after a guy sent by the vendor installed an Audigy sound card. I don't know which cause could be: the power supply, the hard disk, the motherboard or the sound card. The hard disk is less probable to be, because they changed it after 3 months, but the symptom still appears.

Hi folks,

Has any one heard about it? 2 or 3 times per week, I turn on the PC, the LED of the case turns on, the little red Led of the hard disk flickers and the fans turn on; but the PC doesn't boot up, the screen is black. After waiting few minutes, I push the front reset button and the PC boots up normally. Ctrl-alt-delete doesn't work. This problem has occured since I bought the PC, for 6 months. I made a statistics and observed that it appears more often (almost daily) when the temperature of the room is HIGHER (like 22 Celsius), when it's warm outside too. In the winter, when was very cold outside and inside was like 16 Celsius degree, the PC booted up OK. But now, in spring, it has started again, 2-3 times per week. Of course, the vendors told me that the PC worked fine when they checked it..... (They also added that they didn't have heat in the winter, at all....). I have a motherboard ASROCK P4I48 socket 478 Intel 848, and a noname power supply of 350 Watt. Can you help?

Thanks,
NKBJVG

Big John
27-04-2005, 04:51 AM
What?! Thats terrible! Overclocking or not you need some serious cooling. Are you using a different CPU cooler - not the stock one? CAse fans?? Decent size case with decent airflow?
You'll shorten the lifespan of your CPU!

My P4 3.2Ghz runs at 72-74 when playing games and such but idles down around 44. With the cooler temps at present it maxs at 68. I have a Zalman Copper/Zinc cooler with big fins.

However I don't beleive the temps as on chip monitors are always known to read high as test have found. I am quite happy with it running where it is and no stability problems at all.

Me I would say to check all connections of cable are made properly. There may be a loose one somewhere.

Myth
27-04-2005, 10:47 AM
My moneys either on the guy sent by the vendor messing up the install and doing something to the mobo; or the no-name power supply can't handle the extra card (although it should easily handle it).

Tell the vendor whats happening again, tell them to send a guy out to look at it (they did it once to install a card, they should do it again).

Graham L
27-04-2005, 04:26 PM
It's quite simple. If a new computer doesn't work correctly while it's in guarantee period, the only sensible course is to give the vendor the chance to fix it. They have or can get the proper parts, and are likely to have access to service information.