PDA

View Full Version : Using Partition Magic

bpt2
24-04-2005, 12:40 AM
I have been trying to repartition a drive which used to host a linux OS and swap file. I was unable to completely clear the disk and set up a single partition using fdisk so I installed Windows and hoped that Partition Magic would do the job. But I've got the same problem and cannot clear out the extended partition that was used as a swap file.
Any suggestions?

Myth
24-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Reformat the hard drive to a Windows readable file system (e.g. FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS)

gibler
24-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Look here (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21318021.html)

I'd tend to use gdisk myself or simply wipe the entire drive with Darik's Boot and Nuke, then reformat.

8__OC_KING__8
24-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmmm.....ok. Basically, PArtition magic doesnt fully support all Linux file systems, unless you update it and tell it to. I would attempt to wipe the whole disk clean using any of the hundreds of format tools that are on the web. Then when ur disk is blank, install XP with NTFS file system on it. Sorted.........

Graham L
24-04-2005, 03:53 PM
If you tried to remove an extended partition without success with fdisk and FDISK and Partition Magic, you didn't do it right. ;)

You can't remove the extended partition while it contains any logical partitions. Remove the logical partition(s) and the extended one is removable.

I'm surprised the partitioning programmes didn't give sensible error messages.

i-gordon
24-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I have been using Partition Magic 8. for about 2 years and I have had several occasions when it hasnt performed as expected. My advise is only ask it to do one task at a time. Delete the entire disk first then recreate the partitions as you want them.
Ian