PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!!

Acryptid
23-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Okay, so I join this site and become a moderator there eventually. Soon after, I get some kind of virus that shows a huge eye on your computer screen and freezes it up, so we had to have our computer fixed.

During this time, I was banned from not only that site that I was moderator of, but also another site due to what happened at the site I was originally banned from.

Now, the situation is...

I was apparently banned because someone using MY IP address hacked the forum, and also hacked people's IM conversations, altered them to make them seem worse than they were, and sent them to other people that the person knew, to stir things up.

I DID NOT do it, and I know I didn't...because I didn't have internet at the time.

Everyone I have talked to so far, has told me that the only way someone using my IP address could've done that was if it WAS me...but I swear that it wasn't...

My question is...IS it possible for someone to do what they did, if it WASN'T me? And if so, HOW?!

I need some kind of explanation, because I'd like to be unbanned from the sites...

Myth
23-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Yes it is possible. Its a hackers trick called piggy backing.
Basically they steal your ISP info (sign into the ISP using your account and password).
For this to have happened, the hacker has accessed your computer, and somehow (either a fake ISP screen; or more likely a keylogger) got the above info.
Who have you annoyed greatly lately?

Best bet from now on... get a decent firewall, obviously the one you have (if you have one) is no good.
Also consider changing all your passwords etc, but make sure you have no keyloggers in your system first or changing passwords will be pointless.
Run Pest Patrol, or Adaware (though its not as comprehensive as Pest Patrol). If you are lucky you may find the offending piece of spyware

tweak'e
23-04-2005, 05:06 PM
easy enough.....

you where hacked/infected/exploited. the hacking of the site was proberly done through your pc, ie your pc was used to hide them from the forum. afaik not a lot of forum software is able to trace back through a pc, so it looks like it all came from your ip.
the other thing of course is IP addy dosn't mean much as your ip addy changes (unless you run a fixed IP). they would have to get info from your isp to say it was your account useing that IP at the time.

whether you can prove that and whether the site admins give a damn is another story.

Acryptid
23-04-2005, 05:10 PM
well, before i was hacked and our net went down, we had a cable modem connection in my room which ran into a wireless USB network adapter on this computer...

and to my knowledge, i dont know anyone ive annoyed recently...

but can they still do that even if i dont have internet at the time? because mine was down due to the virus...

Aurealis_
23-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Were you sharing your Cable connection via a wireless router? Now there's a security risk!

If you were, did you have any security functions enabled? Such as encryption, passwords or anything similar?

Acryptid
23-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Not sure, I don't know much about computers to be honest...

But the wireless USB network adapter hooked up to this computer, was getting it's signal from the cable modem in my own room, which used to be hooked up to my own computer (its in the shop)...

tweak'e
23-04-2005, 05:17 PM
well, before i was hacked and our net went down, we had a cable modem connection in my room which ran into a wireless USB network adapter on this computer...

firstly "our net" ?? so there is several people connected to this cable modem, all of whom will be under the same IP (ie look like you on the net)

2nd "wireless USB network adapter" whats the secuirty on the wireless like. it could be someone just driving past and hacking into your network.

Acryptid
23-04-2005, 05:18 PM
im not sure, i dont think the security is that great though, we didnt have a firewall enabled or anything...

and "our net" referring to the internet in our household, two computers were hooked up to it, but at the time, only one was...

Aurealis_
23-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I reckon you've had your Wireless LAN hacked. If you haven't set up any security features then they'll be disabled by default. You will want to set up something soon or it will happen again.

I recommend checking out this FAQ on W-LAN security FAQ on WLAN Security (http://www.tomsnetworking.com/FAQ-32-Security-16.php)

Make sure to come back to us with any problems.

pctek
23-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Soon after, I get some kind of virus that shows a huge eye on your computer screen

I was apparently banned because someone using MY IP address hacked the forum, and also hacked people's IM conversations,
I DID NOT do it, and I know I didn't...because I didn't have internet at the time.
A) How freaky
B) How were you moderating this site then if you had no interent?
C) You need:
Virus Checker
Spyware checkers - at least 2 if not more
Firewall (properly configured).

Acryptid
23-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I was still a moderator...my net had only went down for about 3 days. And right now, none of that will help because I have a virus in this computer that will NOT go away. Used everything...Norton, Ad-Aware, Spy Bouncer, etc.

Jen
23-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I was still a moderator...my net had only went down for about 3 days. And right now, none of that will help because I have a virus in this computer that will NOT go away. Used everything...Norton, Ad-Aware, Spy Bouncer, etc.I thought you had the computer fixed? What is this virus that won't go away (specific name please) that you still have?