PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Virus on CD?

bk T
23-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Is it possible to install an Anti-Virus program, for example, AVG on CD or a flash drive and plug it in to another computer to perform the scanning?

This will be very usefull if the infected computer hasn't got any anti-virus program installed.

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Dont think so with a cd...

Maybe with a flash drive, but then once installed the pc u installed it on, once u take the flash drive to somewhere else. Since its the not the same PC, (u installed the AV program on), it might need registry info, to find the info it needs.

To actually run and do what its meant to.

bk T
23-04-2005, 01:43 PM
If the infected pc has no Anti-virus program installed and has got no Internet access available, how do we go about to remove the viruses?

Can we network it to another computer with Anti-virus program and scan it?

Overdrive_5000
23-04-2005, 01:47 PM
You could put the anti virus prog on the flash drive and install it on the pc in question thats what I do

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Well they can either buy a cd with nortons or whatever.

Thats the only way you'll get the install file to install it. There's no point in getting any AV, since they dont have access to the net, to update it.

Or if u had a flash drive, and u had access to the net, you could copy all updates to it, then update their pc manually (Once they get an AV program).

What if they get another virus, (and the AV program, doesnt recognise it / quarantine it)?

You're stuck....A network scan MIGHT work ... looks like Nortons can scan network drives. Not too sure if this will scan the whole drive of the networked PC, or just the shared folder only.

tweak'e
23-04-2005, 01:52 PM
with nortons you can run the antivirus off the disk, you can even replace the def files to (no idea on how to make a disk with all the patches etc in place).

i did read somewhere ....that theres an av you can burn to disk and boot from the disk and run the av (cd boot disk and DOS based AV ??? )

otherwise stand alone tools like stinger are handy. they often will get most of the main ones then you can install an AV onto the system.

bk T
23-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys, for sharing your experiences and views.

Cheers

pheonix
23-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Taking it one step further, yes you can do what you ask with a CD. It would mean updating the files and burning a new CD each time. A CDRW may be an idea, but will not work on a lot of CD players and some windows.

Have a look at UBCD (http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html)

mark c
23-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I've dome exactly what you are asking. Had a freind's comp where the AV wouldn't start so I got the latest ver. of AVG and put in a CD and uploaded it, ran and it fixed the problem.

I understand that AVs are usually not out on CDs because they need to be updated continuosly.

But in the case I mentioned it got the comp going and then I could update the ver I loaded. (Had to get a registration number for it though).
HTH..m

bk T
23-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I've dome exactly what you are asking. Had a freind's comp where the AV wouldn't start so I got the latest ver. of AVG and put in a CD and uploaded it, ran and it fixed the problem.

HTH..m

Mark, you're talking about copying the AVG's install file and install it on the infected pc? But how do you update the program and virus definitions before scanning the pc?

mark c
23-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Mark, you're talking about copying the AVG's install file and install it on the infected pc? But how do you update the program and virus definitions before scanning the pc?

UM urh. I didn't. I din't want to connect to the net. But it worked.

drcspy
23-04-2005, 03:29 PM
I use avg quite often like this and i carry the setup file around on cd and my flashdisk also I carry the updates around, (and i DO keep them up to date) it's very simple ........you can also do this with some versions of norton.....i've found the version of norton a/v on the system works cd is perfectly installable without registering online and you can use 'intelligent updater' to update if offline as soon as you have installed it..........

avg updates: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5
norton intelligent updater: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

Jen
23-04-2005, 03:33 PM
There are other live-CD's that offer antivirus programs such as INSERT (http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html), but as always they will probably be out of date with the definitions. When I am cleaning out other people's machines, I just download a fresh copy of AVG and also grab the latest manual update definition file so that you can update the program manually (just put the definition dat file into the correct directory). I also include the latest version of stinger to get rid of the recent nasties in the first sweep and then let AVG deal with the left-overs. I don't let the machine get back onto the internet until it is virus/trojan/malware free so take all the tools on a CD with me. You can put all the "rescue" tools onto a flash pen as well if you know they run XP (don't want to load USB pen drivers on older OS's first).

If the machine has never been on the internet, it would of only been infected via infected files loaded from CD or floppies. This will of limited to how many viruses it would have. Which brings me to:
If the infected pc has no Anti-virus program installed and has got no Internet access available, how do we go about to remove the viruses?Why do you think the machine has a virus if there is no AV installed to alert you and hasn't had internet access? Has it ever had internet access?

If this machine regularly loads files sourced from at risk machines, then you would need to manual update it with definition files downloaded from a internet capable machine and then transferred to the other computer.

theother1
23-04-2005, 05:26 PM
well said Jen, I was wondering how the machine would get infected if it didn't have a net connection. Maybe from being around infected machines? a kind of airborne virus?

mark c
23-04-2005, 05:53 PM
theother1

In my experience......

careless users + floppies/CDs+ (most likely) games & freeware = trouble (AKA viruses/malware)

pheonix
23-04-2005, 08:30 PM
It is quite easy to get infected without Internet connection. The last MSBlaster proved that. Standford Uni for example, didn't get infected from the net, but from infected laptops connecting onto their network from students and tutors.

Also, as the user cannot download programs, then they are more likely to receive their programs from users that download them on their behalf. Sometimes trojans and worms come along for the ride.

Rob99
24-04-2005, 01:18 AM
I would use Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/)

drcspy
24-04-2005, 04:38 AM
YES ....good but very limited