PDA

View Full Version : XP Home CDs

bk T
23-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I have 2 machines running XP Home. One of them has developed some problems and has to be reinstalled. The problem here is, I don't know which CD is for which machine. I may have activation problems if I don't use the correct CD for the correct machine.

Is there a way to identify the correct CD?

Cheers

Myth
23-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Theres a free application online called Magical Jellybean KeyFinder v1.41 (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml)

It will tell you your Windows Key on the machine its run on :D

tweak'e
23-04-2005, 11:45 AM
dosn't matter which cd afaik. its the key that matters.

FoxyMX
23-04-2005, 01:07 PM
dosn't matter which cd afaik. its the key that matters.
It will matter if you use a Win XP CD that includes SP1 or SP2 when the original installation CD did not have any service packs included. The key won't work.

pheonix
23-04-2005, 01:07 PM
AFAIK, only "restore" CD's are tied to the model of computer. For normal retail CD's of XP, they are all exactly the same.

Restore CD's usually come with name brands such as HP and Compaq, and of course, some of the PC Company's as well.

Metla
23-04-2005, 01:20 PM
It will matter if you use a Win XP CD that includes SP1 or SP2 when the original installation CD did not have any service packs included. The key won't work.

Fraid not, I use a copy of XP with SP2 on every machine that needs the OS reloaded,irrilvent if the comp was shipped with no sp,sp2,recovery cd's,OEm install,no cd's,retails install...

All their keys work with my OEM cd with SP2,though it does usually take a phone call to MS to get em activated.

bk T
23-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Theres a free application online called Magical Jellybean KeyFinder v1.41 (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml)

It will tell you your Windows Key on the machine its run on :D

Thanks, downloaded the keyfinder and extracted the CD key successfully.

That's great. :)

FoxyMX
23-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Fraid not, I use a copy of XP with SP2 on every machine that needs the OS reloaded,irrilvent if the comp was shipped with no sp,sp2,recovery cd's,OEm install,no cd's,retails install...

All their keys work with my OEM cd with SP2,though it does usually take a phone call to MS to get em activated.
Ah... well your experience is far greater than mine but not long ago I formatted a computer and tried reinstalling Windows XP using my Win XP SP1 disc and the CD key on the case and it refused to budge. Was in a bit of a pickle until the owner found their SP1 exclusive CD and it was happy to install after that.

To be on the safe side I won't be trying that stunt again. :groan:

bk T
23-04-2005, 01:37 PM

To avoid the hastle of calling MS re activation, does this RockXP program which backs up the activation file really works?

Has anyone ever tried it?

Metla
23-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Ah... well your experience is far greater than mine but not long ago I formatted a computer and tried reinstalling Windows XP using my Win XP SP1 disc and the CD key on the case and it refused to budge. Was in a bit of a pickle until the owner found their SP1 exclusive CD and it was happy to install after that.

To be on the safe side I won't be trying that stunt again. :groan:

I will endeavour to stop talking like my experiences are the final word on all things...(yeah right,more likely I'll bulldoze on just as before)

Muhahahaha.

There are bound to be many incompatibilities, though as far as installing Xp goes I have a 100% strike rate so far.... :badpc:

pheonix
23-04-2005, 02:37 PM
bk T, no , you still have register with MS. There are ways, but they break the EULA, and therefore classified as illegal.

It is no great hassle, you don't even have to speak to anyone. Just install XP,and at the end of the install it will give you yet another number. Ring the 0800 that XP indicates, and an automated voice takes you through it by pressing your phone keys. The automon, will then quote you back another number , which you put in to finally get you up and running. Otherwise it will be only safemode after the 30 day trial.
You will only have to talk to a MS real person if you require to re-install within 120 days (I heard).

drcspy
23-04-2005, 03:33 PM
if you check the installed cdkey you will quite often find that is different to the cdkey on the sticker on the case......and i've had situation where the case sticker key woulnd't work with the install but the installed cdkey did work..........think it's because of large manufacturers, like in one case i had 'pc company' using 'generic' keys or something maybe metla can expand on this one.........as a general rule if it's possible I ALWAYS extract the installed key and compare it to the case sticker....

tweak'e
23-04-2005, 05:11 PM
if you check the installed cdkey you will quite often find that is different to the cdkey on the sticker on the case......and i've had situation where the case sticker key woulnd't work with the install but the installed cdkey did work..........think it's because of large manufacturers, like in one case i had 'pc company' using 'generic' keys or something maybe metla can expand on this one.........as a general rule if it's possible I ALWAYS extract the installed key and compare it to the case sticker....

cd key was proberly pirated (or just the same one they use on all the pc's) and the legit key sold off. a few chain stores have been done for doing that.

drcspy
23-04-2005, 05:14 PM
well in that particular situation the cdkey was unlikely to have been pirated as they had simply bought the pc from the pc co and had it ever since.......not been reinstalled or anyting

tweak'e
23-04-2005, 05:24 PM
mayby i've got the wrong end of the stick (i need a beer......)

i ment that PcCo could have used pirated key or used the key on their own pc (or customers)
or they simply got the stickers mixed up and put them on the wrong case.