PDA

View Full Version : problem with sidewinder precision 2

carrasqueira
23-04-2005, 03:27 AM
hello
first sorry about my english, and being from the other part of the world (Portugal) you must be asking myself ..why us? Donīt you have anyone near by to help?
And my answer is NOP,i tryed microsoft, and other foruns and nothing helps,so iīm trying the other side.My problem isnīt new in this forum my joystick comes with a
installation cd for win 98 and my actual operating system is xp professional.
Two weeks ago i changed my motherboard ,and of corse reinstalled the XP ,when i first installed the sidewinder precision 2 cd made the test and worked fine ,after i installed the game (flight simulator 2004) and tryed to use the joystick didnīt work.
removed the sidewinder precision 2 software and when iīm reinstalling the software the windows xp doesīt recognize the joystick use connection.

carrasqueira
23-04-2005, 03:30 AM
hello
first sorry about my english, and being from the other part of the world (Portugal) you must be asking myself ..why us? Donīt you have anyone near by to help?
And my answer is NOP,i tryed microsoft, and other foruns and nothing helps,so iīm trying the other side.My problem isnīt new in this forum my joystick comes with a
installation cd for win 98 and my actual operating system is xp professional.
Two weeks ago i changed my motherboard ,and of corse reinstalled the XP ,when i first installed the sidewinder precision 2 cd made the test and worked fine ,after i installed the game (flight simulator 2004) and tryed to use the joystick didnīt work.
removed the sidewinder precision 2 software and when iīm reinstalling the software the windows xp doesīt recognize the joystick usb connection.

E|im
23-04-2005, 03:56 AM
Try plugging it into another USB port?

craigb
23-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Hi there
Have had a similar problem. If you are running XP, you won't need to install the joystick drivers, they are already there. When I tried to load the disc, XP wouldn't let me anyway because the software was not compatable. On my old computer, I only had a very average graphics card. The joystick would work OK as long as you didn't activate the forcefeedback. If I did, it would suck 10 - 20 FPS from the game and make it unplayable. My new computer has a super grapics card and more grunt in the RAM and processing department and now the game runs fine with force feedback. Just pluged in the stick, selected it in the game (or might have been in the control panel), did a calibration and away I went. Make sure you have the current DirectX as well. Ummm, I think thats all. Let us know how you get on.

Greg
23-04-2005, 09:52 AM
If you are running XP, you won't need to install the joystick drivers, they are already there.

Actually I'd suggest that he does download latest drivers - remember that XP is several years old now.

Metla
23-04-2005, 10:08 AM
There are no latest drivers, The MS line of gaming devices was discontinued years ago,and if it plugs into the joystick port then you have to use the inbuilt drivers,period.

Plug it in,head into the control panel,find the joystick applet,select sidewinder (auti-detect) from the list, then check its working in teh same applet.

If it works in there but not the game then its a game issue.

Greg
23-04-2005, 10:54 AM
The MS line of gaming devices was discontinued years ago

Oh.

Got any recommendations for a new joyschtik? I sorta need a new one. I had the impression that the MS ones were a bit of an industry standard.

Metla
23-04-2005, 12:26 PM
new joystick recomendation?

Hard to say, If its for flight sims I would be looking at a dedicated flight sim combo, If its for general use....hmmm....My natural recomendation would be to look at Logitech seeing as MS have ceased to make them,though my last Logitech stick broke after a few months use, I preferred it to my MS stick but my MS stick is still like new and its about 4 years old now.

Other then that the vast majority that I see are complete and utter junk, I wouldn't spit on what I see stocking the retail outlets.

Greg
23-04-2005, 12:54 PM
My natural recomendation would be to look at Logitech

My existing one is an old Logitech Wingman Extreme (digital) and it's lousy, even with the latest calibration software. Hopefully the newer one's are better?

Metla
23-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Was it always lousy?, My logitech stick was probally the same model, It went bad when the anchor piont on the base cracked so the calibration of the stick all went to hell.

I gave it away and the new owners got it plastic welded....

Greg
26-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Was it always lousy?, My logitech stick was probally the same model, It went bad when the anchor piont on the base cracked so the calibration of the stick all went to hell.

I gave it away and the new owners got it plastic welded....
Yeah this one was always bad - from your comments it's probably a bit of physical damage, which suggests a manufacturing flaw because it's never been used with much gusto (Star Wars, Panzer Elite and Racer).