PDA

View Full Version : VHS to computer

sam m
22-04-2005, 11:54 PM
I have a feeling that I might need more hardware but thought I better check first.
I have Radeon 9600 256MB. I was told that this card can connect directly to a VHS so I can copy video to hard drive. I have capture software that came with the card but my problem is I dont know what or how to plug the vhs to the computer. There are a few spare cables that came with the card. There is a s-video cable (really short with yellow female rca connector), a long yellow rca (male - male) cord and another black 4pin cable (male-male) as well. On the back of the computer I can see the s-video female cable on the card but that seems to be it.

Can I connect it with what I have or do I have to get a capture card as well. Reading the manual it doesnt say anything there but then half the stuff in the book mean nothing to me anyway.

thanks
sam

Rob99
23-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Full specs of the card please.

kiLLme
23-04-2005, 04:40 AM
if u dont ever get that to work then try getting this..
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=2252&Langue_ID=7

sam m
23-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Full specs of the card please.

As per everest: ATI RADEON 9600 XT (RV360)

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2005, 08:52 AM
All u do is plug an rca cable, into video out from the video.

If that videocard has video in (an RCA plug the cable into that). If the video has svideo and that videocard also has s-video (video in). Plug it into that.

Plug the audio out from the video into line in on the soundcard, or else u wont get sound.

Whatever program u have installed. See if it can switch to the video in on your videocard. If u get it, you should be able to chuck a video in, play it, and it should appear, so u can record the video.

If that doesnt work, u may have to get a tuner like a Leadtek tuner. A program comes with this on the CD, or you can d/l the latest version off the site. Then all u do is plug the svideo/rca in from the video to this, plug the audio out from video to line in on your soundcard, run the program this tuner came with switch to cvbs, and thats it. You can record.

godfather
23-04-2005, 11:17 AM
No way of telling if your exact card has ViVo (Video In Video Out) from the data supplied.

If it has Video In and Video Out, a patch lead will have been supplied with RCA and S-Video sockets on it, 2 sockets of each.
If no lead, or only one RCA and S-Video on the lead, then it does not have Video in (Capture) facilities most probably, only Video Out (TV Out).

Best way to get good simple capture facilities is to install a TV card.

sam m
23-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I will take a look when I am home tonight. I remember salesperson saying about VIVO but went over my head at the time. What tweaked my memory was the capture software that came with it which got me thinking that it could be possible.

godfather
23-04-2005, 11:51 AM
If capture software came with it, it should have ViVo.