PDA

View Full Version : Rotated digital photos

FoxyMX
22-04-2005, 05:58 PM
When our digital camera takes portrait photos it automatically rotates them so that they display the correct way up, which is good. The drawback to this is that two files are created: the original non-rotated pic and the rotated one, which means they take up twice as much room on the hard drive as landscape photos.

I have been deleting most of the non-rotated pics as I don't really see any point in keeping them... or is there?

Should I be holding onto them, and if so, for what reason?

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2005, 06:02 PM
If u have XP u can open it within the folder and rotate..

Dont know if it'll make any diff in size tho.

I spose it depends on what the resolution is you took the pic at.

Rob99
22-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I dont see much point in keeping them either, if the file size is the same.

My camera(Kodak) also rotates the photos, but doesent create two files, maybe a setting in your camera.

Graham L
22-04-2005, 06:05 PM
If both have got the same number of pixels in each direction, they should have the same contents in each pixel. So, unless you want to lie on your side to view them while your inferior half fetches the grapes and refreshments when you clap your hands, you may as well remove the landscape ones.

Shortcircuit
22-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a good reason to have an 'inferior one'... as long as they buy the grapes as well :cool:

I second the other replies- get rid of the landscape files unless you need a reason to be supine.

FoxyMX
22-04-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't think The Boss will appreciate you putting those kinds of ideas in my head, Graham. The grapes and refreshments, I mean. :p

Yes, the file sizes are almost the same, just 3KB smaller for the rotated pics, so I assume they are the same quality. They look the same on the screen, anyway.

Well that's good news, I'll free up a few hundred megabytes by the time I am finished.

Thanks guys. :thumbs:

Miami Steve
22-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't think The Boss will appreciate you putting those kinds of ideas in my head, Graham. The grapes and refreshments, I mean. :p

Yes, the file sizes are almost the same, just 3KB smaller for the rotated pics, so I assume they are the same quality. They look the same on the screen, anyway.

Well that's good news, I'll free up a few hundred megabytes by the time I am finished.

Thanks guys. :thumbs:
Not too fast FoxyMX. :eek: Assuming the images are JPEG, depending on how the images are rotated, there may well be some loss in quality. See here (http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/everworsening-jpeg-phenomenon.html). It looks as though some apps, (eg ACDSEE) offer lossless rotation, but many do not.

FoxyMX
22-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Arghhhh no.... Steve!!! :eek:

That is what I was worried about. The photos are actually duplicated and rotated in the camera and both files are downloaded when transferred to my hard drive which is why I think they are the same quality, but I am not entirely sure.

Maybe I should hold onto the non-rotated pics and delete the others instead? Just need to tap the R or L key when viewing in Irfanview, though it is a bit of a pain when there are a lot of them.

Hmmm... what shall I do?? I haven't emptied the recycle bin yet... :p

Metla
22-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Put all the non-rotated pics in a seperate folder incase you ever want to print em,leave the rotated pics for viewing.

You do have giant harddrives don't you?

Mercury
22-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Burn them to CD, drop them in a shoe box in case and delete original?

Cicero
22-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Or get a less irritating camera.Drive one right up the wall that.

FoxyMX
22-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I burn them all to CDs for backing up now but was thinking I could save some space by deleting the rotated ones. Now I am not sure whether it is a good idea after all.

Metla: It's not hard drive space I lack, it is a DVD burner for backups. At the moment anyway.

Cicero: I can set the camera to not provide a rotated image if I desire but it is convenient.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :)

Cicero
22-04-2005, 11:54 PM
I see,the price you pay though is to be left on the horns of a dilemma. :)

PaulD
23-04-2005, 11:51 AM
How many people actually modify and resave JPGs often enough for any degradation to be visible at the size normally printed? If you can't see any difference in quality between rotated or non-rotated, save whichever is convenient.

Joe Blogs
26-04-2005, 02:33 PM
If you can't see any difference in quality between rotated or non-rotated, save whichever is convenient.
The difference might not be obvious on a monitor but could be on a print, especially if you crop an enlarge.