PDA

View Full Version : downloading images

mark c
22-04-2005, 05:44 PM
When I download and save an image on this comp, say to the desktop or "My Pictures" or wherever doesn't seem to make any difference, then when I want to open it Mozilla (default browser) opens up and since this is an old slow machine it takes about a minute and then displays the image. I thought it should be faster than this. I've had images on other machines and just opened them from the folder they were in without another app like a browser opening up to do the display. At least as far as I can remember.

I've been to net tutorials about downloading and saving images but can't find anything about the display process.

Am I doing something wrong here? I don't think it's the machine, I think it's me.

Any tips much appreciatted. Been fiddling around for hours. m

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2005, 05:51 PM
If u have XP, and u save the pics to a folder, u should be able to view the pic.

Graham L
22-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Some of that time would be spent loading the browser. How big are the picture files?

But I would get a proper image viewer like Irfanview and have it as the default for looking at pictures. Browsers are for browsing. When you want to graze ... ;)

FoxyMX
22-04-2005, 06:02 PM
The other computers are probably using a quicker-loading program/app to view the pictures rather than Mozilla, which would be slower to load.

As Graham says, get Irfanview and let that program associate all your image files with it so it opens with the pictures. It will be much quicker.

mark c
22-04-2005, 06:14 PM
OK thanks for all that. Using 98se on this and the images are between 3-400 bytes and 1 K. Not very big I would have thought. They download in a second on (slow) dial-up.

So you do need an app to open the images, but a browser isn't the best to use. Ok I understand that, will get Infranview.

But you don't need an extra app to view text files or icons in W. Explorer. But you do for images?

Jen
22-04-2005, 06:39 PM
But you don't need an extra app to view text files or icons in W. Explorer. But you do for images?You could associate the image files with Win98's Paint Program if you don't want to install a 3rd party viewer.

FoxyMX
22-04-2005, 06:43 PM
But you don't need an extra app to view text files or icons in W. Explorer. But you do for images?
Text files in Windows will open with Notepad by default - you can't view the contents of text files in Explorer. Icons have always been viewable in Windows Explorer.

If you have Windows Explorer's view on "View as a webpage" and Preview enabled you can view the .jpg and .gif images as a thumbnail view in the Explorer window. Maybe that is what you are referring to?

And the program is Irfanview, not Infranview.

mark c
22-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks Jen, just installed Infranview. (pretty smart little program).

Puddled around in Paint but didn't like it.

(part of the problem I do realise is that I don't RT*M)

Thanks for all the help. m