PDA

View Full Version : Sony DCR Handicam Driver

Myth
22-04-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm trying to help some mates with their computer. They have Win XP (Home) and also own a Sony DCR HC20E Handicam (bought secondhand). They would love to be able to upload pics from their cam to the PC but don't have the right driver cd.
I have gone looking around various sites (Driverguide, WinDrivers, Pc Drivers, Help Drivers, etc). I don't have the funds to join WinDrivers, and one other site has a driver but it costs to download (neither myself or my friends have credit card facility). Driverguide have DCR TRV drivers so I'm not sure if they will work.
Can anyone help (i.e anyone have a cam like this, or know where to download a free driver?)

Metla
22-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Allways pays to look at the manufacturers site for drivers,when I done a query on the sony site they pointed at what looks to be a generic usb driver (when I say generic I mean it should work for all sony products)

Heres a link though chances are slim that it will work due to teh way I had to navigate through the site

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=DCRHC20&upd_id=1452&os_id=7

edit.

Maybe its not so generic.

What does this do?

This utility installs a USB driver for connecting a camera, camcorder or or Memory Stick® device to a computer and transferring files.
What products and operating systems does this apply to?

This utility is only for use with certain Digital Camcorders systems sold in the United States or Canada as identified below.

Model(s): DCR-HC20
Operating System(s): Microsoft® Windows® XP, Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Microsoft® Windows® Me

Myth
22-04-2005, 12:49 AM
This utility installs a USB driver for connecting a camera, camcorder or or Memory Stick® device to a computer and transferring files.
What products and operating systems does this apply to?

This utility is only for use with certain Digital Camcorders systems sold in the United States or Canada as identified below.

Model(s): DCR-HC20
Operating System(s): Microsoft® Windows® XP, Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Microsoft® Windows® Me That looks like what I'm after.

I looked at Sony.com before, I must have missed the link to drivers. Even one of the other sites had a link to their drivers site, but it kept timing out so I figured the page was gone.

Thanx Metla :thumbs:

plod
22-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Is it usb or firewire? have u tried just plugging it in? I thought xp had a great plug and play?
Anwser a few of these questions and we might be able to go a bit further

Myth
22-04-2005, 10:05 AM
USB. Have tried just plugging it in.
And XP does have good PnP support, just not for everything

plod
22-04-2005, 10:32 AM
this (http://www.css.ap.sony.com/consumer/template/DDCategory.aspx?Model=DCR-HC20E&Category=Handycam) probably the same as other link posted.Does windows moviemaker see it?

Metla
22-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Firewire is plug and play, USB requires drivers and good luck.....

plod
22-04-2005, 10:38 AM
didnt know that one metla