PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream on the Go slow

Edward
21-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone. We've just got Telecom's Jetstream Plus from Orcon, but it's not performing at the advertised speed. It's *supposed* to be 2mbit download, but speed tests show otherwise. By the way, I've tested from Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Windows 98 & Ubuntu 4.1, and I'm on a DSE External Router/Switch

Jetstreamgames shows from 253k-240k

DSLReports Seattle server says 194/123k d/u

Pearthinternet.com.au says 276k

So it's a far cry from the 2mbit claimed :annoyed:

I've rung up the orcon people and they've suggested telecom haven't provisioned us, and that the DSLAM is overloaded.

Telecom was supposed to provision us fully on monday, so no idea whether they've done their bit or not (Can anyone give a number to call?), and can someone with a 03 348 XXXX phone number (Riccarton/Ilam, Christchurch) with Jetstream confirm whether Telecom's equipment is playing up or not?
Any other suggestions to what it could be?

Thanks, Edward :)

Jen
21-04-2005, 10:47 PM
2 mbit = 256 KB

There is nothing wrong with your speeds from the local server. :)

Edward
21-04-2005, 10:57 PM
By 253k I mean 253k/32K, not 2mbit/256K

Your line speed is approximately 285.7 Kbps or 35 K bytes/sec

Jen
21-04-2005, 11:02 PM
In that case, ring Telecom. Dial 123 and ask whether you have been switched over to the faster speed.

mzee
22-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I was on the Jetstream Plus plan for a couple of months, direct from Xtra and most of the time it was slow. Sometimes in the early hours it would speed up.

I have changed to their 3 gig 256k plan & have not noticed much difference, but saving $20 a month. You may require more than 3 gigs but I believe that Orcon have a flat rate unlimited plan?

I use a DSE modem/router with XP pro.
The later DSE Router is Grey & the earlier one Blue. They both perform the same, but the Grey one runs cooler.

John H
22-04-2005, 10:59 AM
(snip) can someone with a 03 348 XXXX phone number (Riccarton/Ilam, Christchurch) with Jetstream confirm whether Telecom's equipment is playing up or not?
Any other suggestions to what it could be?

Thanks, Edward :)

Edward - do a search on this forum - within the last two to three weeks, someone else posted regarding slow Jetstream in the Riccarton area, and s/he had finally winkled out an explanation that there is a problem there, and Telecom is upgrading. Sorry I cannot recall who the poster was.

John

slofox
22-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I am not in Christchurch but Hamilton. I find my jetstream speed varies a lot depending on the time of day and the day of the week. I am on Home 500 plan - today's speed is 4015.7Kbps but it can be as low as half that at times. I am also quite close to the exchange which does make a difference. I don't think I have ever come close to the theoretical speed of Jetstream at any address I have lived at, but I find current performance more than adequate...

chiefnz
22-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Just a quick query here...

When the new 2Mb plans came out I was told by Telecom & my ISP that all ADSL connections will be capable of 2Mb, the speed is regulated at the ISP level? Is this true or not?

It took 1 week for me to see the change in speed as I had to wait for the start of a new billing cyle before the 2Mb speed came into effect.

cheers

chiefnz

KiwiTT_NZ
22-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Have you tweaked your TCP setting for broadband. i.e. created a larger RWIN window, dur to the greater latency of the internet.

Check it here (http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php)

After tweaking I was able to get 400Kbytes/sec downloads

smokenz
22-04-2005, 12:36 PM
In regards to cheifnz. Id say it is the ISP level controlling it most of the time. My line speed is well over 4mb, but im on a 1mb plan so get just over 1mb download speeds. So the ISP is definitely limiting it, as if i login to jetstream games i get downloads at about 4600kbps.

I feel sorry for people that have crap exchanges, as I've never experienced crap speeds with my ADSL, in 2 different houses in 2 different exchanged areas in Wellington.

smokenz

ninja
22-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone. We've just got Telecom's Jetstream Plus from Orcon, but it's not performing at the advertised speed. It's *supposed* to be 2mbit download, but speed tests show otherwise.You may want to look into this some more.

Orcon are a wholesale UBS provider. That agreement means they can no longer resell Telecom's plans such as JetStream Plus.

Sounds to me like you're on an Orcon 256k plan.

ninja
22-04-2005, 02:01 PM
When the new 2Mb plans came out I was told by Telecom & my ISP that all ADSL connections will be capable of 2Mb, the speed is regulated at the ISP level? Is this true or not?Nein. The speed is regulated at the port on the DSLAM by Telecom, depending on which service you have been provisioned for and/or which realm you log into (@$something.isp.co.nz).

In regards to cheifnz. Id say it is the ISP level controlling it most of the time. My line speed is well over 4mb, but im on a 1mb plan so get just over 1mb download speeds.See above.

Edward
22-04-2005, 05:32 PM
I'll ring Telecom now.

Ninja- I log into the network via a @fastadsl.net.nz address, so it's not really orcon internet, should I still only be on the 256k plan? :confused:

Rob99
22-04-2005, 05:46 PM
You could try different DNS servers
202 . 27 . 184 . 3
202 . 27 . 184 . 5
202 . 27 . 158 . 40
202 . 27 . 156 . 72

Edward
22-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Bugger, just read the thread about other Riccarton people getting the same thing, and it seems that I'm out of luck until they upgrade it :(

But it also says people are complaining to Telecom. Any number I could ring to complain? 123 aint no good, they tell me to ring Orcon, who tell me to ring Telecom, and the thing goes round and round...

JJJJJ
22-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm useing Bliink 256. My only criteria is the download speed. Up untill a few days ago I was downloading at about 25 whatevers. That has now changed and I am downloading at about 16 things.
Still a lot better than about 5 with dialup. But it's certainly not 6 times as fast as the adverts say.