PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Web Host recommendations for windows site

robbyp
21-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I am looking for a webhost for my website, that supports ASP. My requirements are it must be on NZ based servers for fast response times and loading. Also it must supply at least 200MB of diskspace, and a good traffic allowance. I am also on a tight budget, so only want to spend $25-$30 per month.Many low cost NZ hosts I have found so far, (a) don't use NZ based servers but instead us US servers, and (b), have only been around a a year or so.
I was recommended iserve by a friend, but they only provide a small 20MB of diskspace, and additional diskspace is about $1 per MB, so isn't an option. Would welcome any other suggestions. Also they must have good server reliability, and the company needs to have been around for at least a few years, so that I know that they aren't going to go out of business, as I have heard stories of web hosts just disappearing over night!

Cheers

Rob

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Sounds like you want out of a Web host what I want out of a Job:
Low hours, good pay, work from home....

Try Orcon?

Metla
21-04-2005, 05:13 PM
http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/

Ive used em for years,Top quality service across the board,they were configuring the secure server and parked domains as fast as I could fire off the mail telling em how I wanted it setup.

And they do have NZ servers as well as US ones,though for some reason my .co.nz sites are hosted in yankee land,and my .com is hosted in NZ.I would get it changed but the .com is gonna get killed off and it makes no difference to me if the rest are hosted in America,the sites load quick as a flash.

So i would presume if you requested they be hosted on NZ servers It wouldn't be an issue.

robbyp
21-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks, I have seen them before, and they are actually now owned by iserve. Unfortionately it doesn't look like they do Windows hosting, just linux.

Murray P
22-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Still kiwi based servers AFAIK, good company. Have a talk to them platform, god knows why you'd want it served off a Windows base though.

Metla
22-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Im getting a warm glow just thinking I can not only attack Mac fans,but also Windows users.

Muhahahahha.

Hope Jen has her trigger finger ready......

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2005, 12:05 AM
ASP would be a start...... ;)

Somebody mentioned though that it is now possible to server ASP from Linux, but I cant confirm/deny this.

Greg
22-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Somebody mentioned though that it is now possible to server ASP from Linux, but I cant confirm/deny this.
Yeah it's true, but it presents no end of problems. No host with mental faculties intact will do it.

maccrazy
22-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Out of interest, why do you require servers in New Zealand rather than the US?

Prescott
22-04-2005, 01:27 PM
isnt it cheaper?

SallyRyder
22-04-2005, 01:37 PM
I have been using www.superhost.co.nz for the last 4 months, and have found them to be excellent. My website is large, about 300 MB in size and uses ASP, and it only costs me $30 per month to host the website. I believe their servers are located in Auckland.

Metla
22-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Your website is 300mb??????????

Any chance of a link?

SallyRyder
22-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeap, its a shopping cart website, with hundreds of poducts and images. I have also got some 20MB video files for download. I probably shouldn't post the link due to it being a commercial website.

Murray P
22-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeap, its a shopping cart website, with hundreds of poducts and images. I have also got some 20MB video files for download. I probably shouldn't post the link due to it being a commercial website.

Purely for technical reasons of course Sally. You could try the PF1 members websites FAQ, whuch I can't find at the mo??

Metla
22-04-2005, 02:51 PM
As far as I know its quite permissable to post a link in answer to a direct question, If someone said "Hey Metla,whats your website?", I would post a link.

Though I have done so much shameless self promotion that a visitor would be hard pressed to not know my site after a week or so.....

sal
22-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I have been using www.superhost.co.nz for the last 4 months, and have found them to be excellent. My website is large, about 300 MB in size and uses ASP, and it only costs me $30 per month to host the website. I believe their servers are located in Auckland.
They look like a great webhost.

maccrazy
22-04-2005, 04:08 PM
isnt it cheaper?

Definitely not. Hosts with servers in the United States generally offer far better value than those with servers in New Zealand. This doesn't mean you should use a foreign hosting company, but find a local one with overseas servers. :)

I believe their servers are located in Auckland.

According to their network page (http://www.superhost.co.nz/network.htm) they run their 'Corporate Hosting Plan' from a datacenter in Albany and their other plans from the US.

ninja
22-04-2005, 07:01 PM
My website is large, about 300 MB in size and uses ASP, and it only costs me $30 per month to host the website. I believe their servers are located in Auckland.Their website reports $44.44 for 250MB so either they are under charging you or something is rather wrong .

Mike
23-04-2005, 12:43 PM
A friend of mine runs a web host which might suit your needs...

Here (http://www.openhost.co.nz/webhosting/103/windowsHosting.html).

HTH

Mike.

SallyRyder
23-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Their website reports $44.44 for 250MB so either they are under charging you or something is rather wrong .

The plan you are referring to is a different plan, and has more features, but is restricted by diskapce. The plan I am on, doesn't have fantastcio, so it doesn't have all the software that is inluded with that 250MB plan, but you do get more diskspace, as they don't have any set limits on this plan. I did enquire on this when I initially joined.

webdesigner
23-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Try www.openhost.co.nz These guys have been around for a long time. I've got quite a few sites with them now and never had any problems. They've got a WINDOWS 2003 200Mb ASP .NET plan for only $15.99 per month, or like me, you can use their reseller plans. Their servers are located here in NZ according to a traceroute.

robbyp
24-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks Sally for your recommendation. The super host plan looks to suit all my requirements and will allow me plenty of room to grow my site, and they have been around for a while, which is definite must. I have in the past had problems with hosting my web site with US hosting companies that just disappeared overnight.
I had a look at the open host site, and their prices look quite good, but their domain was only registered this year, and their site looks very similar to many American web hosts website I have seen, they possibly have used the same web design templates. They also don't have a bigger windows plan than 200MB, and my site will use more than this, as I will be adding my image and sample mpg video portfolio to it.

webdesigner
25-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Robbyp, My business relies on website hosting so I took a look at super host.. They only seem to have one windows account and they have some fine print with that...

Ļ File archives and free email services are not permitted on these servers. Websites that use excessive amounts of diskspace not allowed. What constitutes excessive diskspace usage is decided by our upstream providers.

≤ High Volume sites may be switched to a US based server network, should your bandwidth usage become excessive. What constitutes excessive bandwidth usage is decided by our upstream providers.Please be sure to email us if you expect your website to have high traffic requirements, or if you are planning on switching a high bandwidth website to this hosting plan.

Their windows hosting starts at $27.00 per month for one website, which is hugely expensive considering they dont actually tell you how much space or bandwidth you are allowed. and I would be very carefull about signing up with them as thier setup pages are not hosted on a secure website.. ie on http not https

The package i signed up with openhost.co.nz (http://www.openhost.co.nz) is 250Mb with 5GB data transfer and allowes me to host 5 websites for only $22.99 per month. (I think you can get windows hosting at $5.00 a month)

braindead
25-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Check out MyHost (http://www.myhost.co.nz/). I've used them for several years and unconditionally recommend them. Located in NZ, but servers o/seas. Excellent service, great extensions and very good pricing plans. They don't pay me a cent for saying this :)

Cheers ~ John

maccrazy
25-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't believe MyHost offers Windows hosting, which is what the person who posted this thread is looking for. ;) While on the topic of Linux hosts though, I have found Myacen (http://www.myacen.com) (Australian with US based servers) and TJR Networks (http://www.tjrnetworks.com) (run from New Zealand with US based servers) to be very good.

I don't want to take the thread off track here, but what do those who use ASP feel the advantages are over PHP?

webdesigner
25-04-2005, 09:18 PM
I don't want to take the thread off track here, but what do those who use ASP feel the advantages are over PHP?

I've been programming in PHP for quite a few years and have recently taken the plunge into ASP.net From my limited understanding of the .net environment I can see some very significant advantages. Mainly in rapid development... I have a large set of base classes that I use in PHP using the Zend IDE, but this is a pretty slow and repetitive task... ASP is by nature a purely object orientated environment, and as such promotes a method of development that allows easy code re-use and and an IDE (Visual Studio) that allows you to develop applications quickly and easily.

Devloping in .NET provides some pretty powerfull tools, for example, i created my own web-browser in under an hour.

I have chosen c# as my language for development, although you can choose to use any of the .net supported languages such as Visual Basic, jscript and i believe that microsoft will reintorduce C++

Having said all that, if you just want to have a simple site that can store information in a database, and email you notification of a form submission, you;re probably better off to use PHP..

For a new programmer, PHP will allow you to create functional scripts in a couple of minutes, ASP could prove to me a lot more confusing.

And to finish my little rant, you will genneraly find that WINDOWS WEB HOSTING SUPPORTS PHP AND ASP. So you can have your cake and eat it too.

maccrazy
29-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Thank you for the detailed response. It was interesting but I think I will stick with PHP. :)

Mike
29-04-2005, 06:17 PM
I had a look at the open host site, and their prices look quite good, but their domain was only registered this year, and their site looks very similar to many American web hosts website I have seen, they possibly have used the same web design templates. They also don't have a bigger windows plan than 200MB, and my site will use more than this, as I will be adding my image and sample mpg video portfolio to it.The company that runs Openhost has been a web-design and web-host company in NZ (NZ based servers) for about 7 or 8 years, and I believe they launched Openhost recently with these cheaper plans.

If you contacted the people at Openhost, I'm sure they'll be happy to offer bigger plans (or taylor a plan to suit your requirements).

Webbase
29-04-2005, 06:44 PM
We provide windows hosting. However our Windows servers are US only at the moment.

If you want an NZ server especially with Windows, be prepared to pay extra for what is in reality barely noticeable improved latency.

Whatever you do, ensure your host is actually a registered company / pays GST and has been in business for a while.

Rob

webdesigner
30-04-2005, 11:54 AM
If you want an NZ server especially with Windows, be prepared to pay extra for what is in reality barely noticeable improved latency.
Rob

You must be on dialup, or trying to mislead if you can't notice any latency on US based servers.

Go to www.trademe.co.nz and click a few links.
Then go to www.ebay.com and make a comparison.

Ebay presumably has significantly superior hardware/networks overseas, but due to location is also significantly slower...There is a huge difference in performance

Correct me if im wrong.

ILikeLinux
30-04-2005, 12:57 PM
You must be on dialup, or trying to mislead if you can't notice any latency on US based servers.

Go to www.trademe.co.nz (http://www.trademe.co.nz) and click a few links.
Then go to www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com) and make a comparison.

Ebay presumably has significantly superior hardware/networks overseas, but due to location is also significantly slower...There is a huge difference in performance

Correct me if im wrong.

That is an unfair comparision. Ebay.com Will be serving a LOT more users at one time than trademe.

Webbase
01-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Here at home I am on a 2mb connection and to be honest I find ebay loads very quickly, possibly a fraction slower than trademe but none the less its well within the bounds of acceptability.

I donít want to start a flame war here, but having run both NZ and US based servers for the average website the latency is barely noticeable, if at all.

The advantages from a server admin side are weighed HEAVILY in favour of US servers, not just with bandwidth/hardware costs, but with tech support and network redundancy.

The only true advantage I see of NZ servers is if you are on a high speed connection having an international server may cost you in bandwidth fees where as NZ traffic is free.

maccrazy
01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I donít want to start a flame war here, but having run both NZ and US based servers for the average website the latency is barely noticeable, if at all.

I agree. There is generally too little difference to notice and there are so many other factors effecting the speed a page loads, like the server load, you can't really say that Trade Me is a touch faster because of the location of it's servers.

webdesigner
03-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Likewise not wanting to start a flame war ... just my opinion

I agree. There is generally too little difference to notice and there are so many other factors effecting the speed a page loads, like the server load, you can't really say that Trade Me is a touch faster because of the location of it's servers.

:) I didn't say trademe was a touch faster, I said it was significantly faster. I agree that there are a lot of other factors affecting the speed a page loads - but the original post reffered to latency

So here is a definitive latency check from my network.

[root@archelies1 root]#ping www.someNZHOSToverseas.net -c10
PING www.kiwi****.net (216.157.148.128) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=0 ttl=47 time=200 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=229 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=299 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=211 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=4 ttl=47 time=255 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=5 ttl=47 time=249 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=6 ttl=47 time=267 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=7 ttl=47 time=251 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=8 ttl=47 time=209 ms
64 bytes from hsphere.cc (216.157.148.128): icmp_seq=9 ttl=47 time=202 ms

--- www****host.net ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9095ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 200.963/237.569/299.034/30.768 ms, pipe 2

[root@archelies1 root]# ping www.trademe.co.nz -c10
PING trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=0 ttl=60 time=21.4 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=23.0 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=19.8 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=21.7 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=14.4 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=5 ttl=60 time=19.0 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=6 ttl=60 time=18.6 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=7 ttl=60 time=16.5 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=8 ttl=60 time=19.0 ms
64 bytes from trademe.co.nz (202.21.128.2): icmp_seq=9 ttl=60 time=17.9 ms

--- trademe.co.nz ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9083ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 14.415/19.182/23.017/2.416 ms, pipe 2

IMHO 237ms compared to 19ms is a significant difference.

stu161204
12-05-2005, 05:33 PM
If you are looking for a host check out http://www.hostingforum.co.nz

(No I donít own that site or run it, I am just a member/Mod there)

Chilling_Silence
13-05-2005, 01:46 PM
However for the most part of it, dial-up/UBS users WILL NOT notice the difference.

For general surfing, I can honestly say that I DO NOT know the difference between when a website takes 20ms or 200ms to load.

If you are able to sit in front of your PC in your spare time while doing general browsing and notice that a website is taking 150ms longer to load than it could, I would suggest you need a hobby!!

If you're analysing statistics for a job, thats another matter... But come on people, its 150ms.

Im not going to cry if I have to wait even half a second longer for a website to load if it were stored on a US server as opposed to a local one.

I'd even dare to say most of the population would agree with me, or simply not care!