PDA

View Full Version : Help in restoring programs after reinstating Windows XP

Steve
21-04-2005, 11:54 AM
I would appreciate any advice for restoring programs back to the desktop after I reinstalled Windows XP .Programs are still on the hard drive , but my desktop is empty.

smokenz
21-04-2005, 12:11 PM
When you say reinstalled windows but your programs are still there, do you mean you did the windows installation but you did a repair reinstall opposed to clean reinstall?

You might just have to go to each .EXE and create a shortcut to it, then place on your desktop.

If the programs were on another slave HDD if they are self contained they will work from a clean install, but if they require dll's to be loaded into windows and you wiped windows, you may need to reinstall them again.

Did you take a backup of your desktop shortcuts at all?

smokenz

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Programs as in what??

If theyre programs that were previously installed in c: / program files, you'll have to reinstall them. Couldnt have been a clean install.

As the info from those programs will most probaby have to be in the registry, and putting them back where they were, wont do this.

Or if u mean u want the usual icons u go to the desktop/properties/desktop/customise desktop.