PDA

View Full Version : Eudora v 5.1 light/Win ME - export Addys

J ZEP
20-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi All, can anybody give any solutions to a wee prob i am having.
My neighbors just brought a new system, and i want to export his addy book off the old computer using (Eudora v5.1light) over to the new system. I have never used Eudora and this version doesn't offer an export option at all unfortunately. Reasearch tells me that perhaps i will have to install "Outlook" on that system, then import using that? Then i will be able to export out of "Outlook" and save the files to import onto the new computer.... sound confusing lol.
Can anybody tell me any other solutions OR if the above will actually work? (As in, tried and worked pesonally for them). I can't even find the addy files on it? So if anybody could tell me where they are located and in what file format Eudora is using that would be helpful... maybe...

Cheers

FoxyMX
20-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi J ZEP,

Eudora is a piece of cake to backup. All you do is copy the entire Eudora folder to your backup CD and after reinstalling Eudora on the new computer, copy the folder onto the new hard drive to replace the Eudora folder on that.

This is assuming that you will be reinstalling the same version of Eudora, of course.

Also note that doing this will copy over all the mailboxes and Eudora's settings as well but if your neighbour does not want this then post back and I'll find out the filename of the addressbook to copy.

Edward
20-04-2005, 11:05 PM
On a somewhat related note, is Opera + Eudora like Firefox+ Thunderbord or (shudder) Internet Explorer + Outlook express? :S

FoxyMX
20-04-2005, 11:10 PM
No, Edward, they are not. They are two entirely different programs not at all related or even similar to each other as far as the GUI is concerned.

Both are excellent and powerful programs but whereas Opera is highly customisable Eudora is less so but still more flexible than OE. Some people claim that Eudora is ugly, especially compared to Thunderbird, but I am far more interested in functionality than appearance so I don't tend to notice that myself. Eudora is also quite different to Thunderbird and OE and therefore takes a little more time for users familiar with those two programs to learn.

Why don't you try them for a while? You might be pleasantly surprised.

J ZEP
21-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Susan, thanks, a quick question though, will it work if they are using O.E on the new machine - I mean if i copy the whole folder over onto the new system and try an import for the address's? Thing is they want to give O.E a try which suits me cause i haven't used Eudora. Cheers.
P.s i think i found the file names finally for the addy book, however not on this system here...

Thanks

P.s if i do put Eudora back on the new one any suggestions which Version they should be up to? and also will your suggestion only work if i install the exact version they are using now onto the new system? i presume?

J ZEP
21-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Forgot to say i also noticed on the import in O.E that it has import from "Eudora Pro Lite(through to V3), or the like, so i wonder if thats why people suggest using "Outlook" as the go between?

FoxyMX
21-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Personally I would not recommend that your neighbours take several steps backwards and use Outlook Express instead of Eudora but if that is their wish then so be it.

As far as I can see Outlook Express will import the Eudora address book so yes, if you install Eudora, copy the Eudora folder onto the hard drive and then import the address book into OE it should work.

The address book name in Eudora, according to their help files, is called nndbase.txt but if they have other folders in their address book in addition to the default they will need to back up and restore all the files in the Nickname folder as well. Mine have .nnt and .toc extensions.

To be on the safe side I would recommend that the version they are currently using be installed on their new computer, the backup Eudora folder be installed and then the program updated to the latest version, which is 6.2.1.2.

As far as Outlook is concerned I don't think it will be necessary to use that as a "go between". OE should handle the import fine.

J ZEP
21-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks Susan, i missed your reply post this morning before leaving.
I got it sorted without intalling Eudora on the new system, i basically found a work around - which meant i didn't have to install "Outlook" or "Eudora" (after a little trial and error), to import the Addy book files for the users onto the new system - wasn't exactly what i was hoping for but sure close enough and saved me/them a heck of alot of time re-entering their addy :thumbs: .
Thanks for feedback :)

Edward
21-04-2005, 06:25 PM
No, Edward, they are not. They are two entirely different programs not at all related or even similar to each other as far as the GUI is concerned.

Both are excellent and powerful programs but whereas Opera is highly customisable Eudora is less so but still more flexible than OE. Some people claim that Eudora is ugly, especially compared to Thunderbird, but I am far more interested in functionality than appearance so I don't tend to notice that myself. Eudora is also quite different to Thunderbird and OE and therefore takes a little more time for users familiar with those two programs to learn.

Why don't you try them for a while? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Probably will, but for simplicity's sake, do you know if it can import settings from thunderbird?