PDA

View Full Version : Woops.. darn it.. Gone broke my FC3 flaptop by updating it.

personthingy
20-04-2005, 08:38 PM
I did an update on my FC3 laptop a few days ago, Now attempts to run firefox or Open Office Writer result in much waiting for nothing. Its a bit sad. Oddly these programs run fine when i'm logged in as root.

Any ideas what may have gone wrong, or better still what can be done about it? :badpc:

Jen
20-04-2005, 08:46 PM
What happens if you try to launch it from command line? You might get some sensible error messages in the output. Also, make sure you don't have the processes already running by going CRTL-ESC to bring up KDE System Guard and looking for instances of it. If present, kill them and then try to restart the apps.

personthingy
20-04-2005, 09:19 PM
What happens if you try to launch it from command line? You might get some sensible error messages in the output. Also, make sure you don't have the processes already running by going CRTL-ESC to bring up KDE System Guard and looking for instances of it. If present, kill them and then try to restart the apps.After i typed firefox into the shell thingy and it froze like a possum on the highway. I went to process table - KDE system guard, and there they were oowriter, firefox, and firefox bin, all sitting there doing nothing at all.

I killed the processes and all is now well. :thumbs: I must admit i'm surprised that the problem and the dormant processes survived me logging out and back several times today!

Thanks Jen :thumbs:

Jen
20-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I think this happens from KDE saving your previous session, I've been caught out with Evolution doing this to me on the odd occasion. Good to see it was an easy fix. :)

Graham L
21-04-2005, 03:20 PM
This is the sort of thing which you will see more and more. :( It's what happens when user-fiendlyness is added. Carried to extremes, you will have a Linux which is "just like Windows". I'm not convinced that that is a Good Thing.

personthingy
21-04-2005, 05:00 PM
This is the sort of thing which you will see more and more. :( It's what happens when user-fiendlyness is added. Carried to extremes, you will have a Linux which is "just like Windows". I'm not convinced that that is a Good Thing.The odd thing is i have KDE set to forget the previous session and start fresh each log-in.. O well, it obviously remembered enough to stuff me up each log-in till i took Jens advise and killed processes.

Funny thing is Gedit wont run now.. O well, theres allways Kate, which i kinda prefered anyway, so its now the text editor by default.

La,la la,la la.......
:)

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2005, 05:59 PM
God bless Gentoo....

personthingy
21-04-2005, 06:14 PM
God bless Gentoo....Perhaps i'll put that on my "for when i have a spare day or 3" list

Should get that sometime next year perhaps!? :p

Sounds worth a try though.

Jen
21-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Odd that updating your system has upset your apps. You using synaptic and selecting the "smart upgrades"? You can get problems when you mix certain repositories - see comment here (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/stanton_finley/fc3_note/#Warning).

personthingy
21-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Odd that updating your system has upset your apps. You using synaptic and selecting the "smart upgrades"? You can get problems when you mix certain repositories - see comment here (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/stanton_finley/fc3_note/#Warning).I thought i'd post the errors that i see when i try to launch gedit from the command line. Gedit works today. So i don't know what went wrong. System was sulking, isn't sulking now, everything happy... i hope it stays that way.
:rolleyes:

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2005, 11:13 PM
I can build a basic Gentoo system in 10 hours. Start it one quiet friday night, and even with no experience with compiling a Gentoo system you'll be up and running fine by the next evening. Start at, say, 6pm after dinner with Stage3 (Assuming you've downloaded it) and you should be booted in to your new system within the next 3 hours. Then its a matter of typeing:
emerge kde
and going to bed.

Chill.

personthingy
21-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I can build a basic Gentoo system in 10 hours.........
Chill.At risk of creating an egomaniac here Chill, It might be 10 hours for you, but for most it would probably be a bit longer.

I'd be a bit wary of things going wrong and the possibility of having to put things back to an FC3 system. FC3 is not all bad by any means, so its not like a new distro is something i NEED to do!

Still it might sort the long standing (non)sound issue out, which is the only issue i have with FC3 thats worth bleating about.

O well, some day when i seem to have free time in front of me i'll give it a go..Till then i'll slog on with what works for me. :D