PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive recommendations?

Zygar
20-04-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm looking for an external HDD to do my backing up onto, I have a lot of files, so I'm leaning towards the ~300GB range. I'll probably be storing CD Images on there too... my brothers and sisters like to play my games but they're extremely careless with disks, so it'd be much better if I just shared the ISO and taught them how to use Alcohol 120%. Does anybody have any recommendations of brand?

Alternatively, would I be better off just getting an enclosure and sticking a 300gb seagate in there? What would be the difference between this and buying an external hard drive? There any brands of drive enclosure I should get or doesn't it make any difference?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2005, 04:49 PM
It shouldnt matter what enclosure u get. BUT the one that looks the easiest to setup might be better! Hopefully u have USB 2, SATA or Firewire onboard.

Umm, I dont think u can share an ISO on a cd. An ISO is compressed with whatever in it. You have to extract whats on it to a cd in order to use it.

Unless you're talking about a virtual cd which I dont think is the same as an ISO.

Well u still need the enclosure with one of the above on it, so u can connect it to the system. The diff between the enclosure and just a hdd, is if u dont have the enclosure, how would u use / connect it?

pctek
20-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, what is an external HDD? No such thing that I know of. You have toi use an enclosure.
As for your other thing with Alcohol, that won't work anyway, it will require the original CD - its called anti-piracy protection.

Metla
20-04-2005, 05:33 PM
You can get external harddrives,efectivly a caddy sold as a brand with harddrive already in it.They are not common as its so easy to just buy a caddy and harddrive.

The difference between a cheap caddy and an expensive one becomes appaert when you drop it, the betetr ones absorb as much of the impact as possible,the cheaper ones transfer it all to the harddrive.

As to the other question,of course it will work, Virtual drives emulate the copy protection so you don't even have to make very good copies of the games cd's,make a few iso's,mount them when needed on the virtual drive that Acohol 120% creates.

Having said that,no-cd cracks are easier,far far easier and take up no Harddrive space.

Zygar
20-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I've already tested the whole ISO cd image thing, it works fine, I use it for most games that I play online, as some of them don't like no cd cracks. (ever seen the Command and Conquer Generals copy protection in action? It blows up all your buildings within 30 seconds of starting a game.) I just want to easily be able to centrally store all the images in one place and have them accessible all over the network.

I posted this question on a couple of forums, and I've decided to get an ICZ ME-740U2F and stick a 300GB seagate HDD in there. Should work fine.