PDA

View Full Version : Portforwarding

gum digger
20-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Do i need to portforward dlink dsl-200 modem

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Have u read the manual / read whatever is on the site to find out??

Murray P
20-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Do i need to portforward dlink dsl-200 modem

For what? Shouldn't need to portforward (pin hole) for normal internet usage.

Zygar
20-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Due to the lack of effort you put into your question, I don't know what it is exactly you want to do, but check out www.portforward.com for information on your modem and forwarding.

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Its a MODEM - Just open up the ports on your FIREWALL.

IIRC - These are the ones that Ihug are giving out on that special that some people see to the right side of PF1, that Flash animation

Murray P
20-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Its a MODEM - Just open up the ports on your FIREWALL.

IIRC - These are the ones that Ihug are giving out on that special that some people see to the right side of PF1, that Flash animation

So these things have no routing or NAT capabilities?

If so, as Chill says, if your having an issue look to your firewall. If you want to do other things like hosting games, LAN, remote access, you'll need to get a router or at least use ICS (yuck!).

<rant> While Dynalink have a good name, this must be one of their basic budget products (usually intended for basic single PC connections). I've noticed that several ISP's including Xtra, have been chucking these nasty liitle things at customers as part of bundled installation deals. They're useles for anything other than a basic connection and, if without NAT (modems don't have NAT), potentially leave users open to exploitation from intruders. You'd be better off telling your ISP where they can plant their modem (ahem, politely as you can of course) and get an ADSL router. Dynalink have some particularly good ones.</rant>

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Nope, I was just pointing out that it _is_ a modem and that the Firewall on the local PC needs its ports opened.

Your first post answered the question perfectly, I was just clarifying to those who were posting about port-forwarding etc.

Murray P
20-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Good opportunity for a rant though Chill :rolleyes:

gum digger
20-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Due to the lack of effort you put into your question, I don't know what it is exactly you want to do, but check out www.portforward.com for information on your modem and forwarding.

WEl this modem connects via usb and it is provided free by IHUG. i want to portforward so i can get good speed on bittorent

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2005, 08:10 PM
None is needed - Just make sure your firewall isnt block 6889

Dragonslayer
21-04-2005, 11:11 AM
So these things have no routing or NAT capabilities?

If so, as Chill says, if your having an issue look to your firewall. If you want to do other things like hosting games, LAN, remote access, you'll need to get a router or at least use ICS (yuck!).

<rant> While Dynalink have a good name, this must be one of their basic budget products (usually intended for basic single PC connections). I've noticed that several ISP's including Xtra, have been chucking these nasty liitle things at customers as part of bundled installation deals. They're useles for anything other than a basic connection and, if without NAT (modems don't have NAT), potentially leave users open to exploitation from intruders. You'd be better off telling your ISP where they can plant their modem (ahem, politely as you can of course) and get an ADSL router. Dynalink have some particularly good ones.</rant>

Dude, a dlink dsl-200 is a D-LINK product, not a Dynalink product.

gum digger
21-04-2005, 12:44 PM
how to i know 6889 isnt blockd by firewall. i use zone alarm

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Its blocked by default.....

gum digger
21-04-2005, 07:46 PM
wel how do i unblock it. lol

Murray P
21-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Dude, a dlink dsl-200 is a D-LINK product, not a Dynalink product.

Yeah I know that, brain fart that's all dude :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Add Azureus to the allowed programs and set it up to be allowed as a Server.