PDA

View Full Version : cable vs adsl

plod
20-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Currently using paradises cable service,but getting a bit anoyed with some of their policies. 1) having to rent the modem 2)paying for excess usage(when will they start throttling back the connection speed)
Anybody else in the same situation? Is adsl better?
opinions please

Murray P
20-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Hmm, I'm thinking of going the other way, ADSL > Cable, have always been against paying good money for a crappy modem though. I'd be interested in any replies as well.

How do you find the service and connection otherwise?

Zygar
20-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Paradise cable seems to get better pings in online games (20-30 as opposed to 50-60 for dsl), but Xtra isn't depeering and has no excess data charges on the Jetstream Plus plan.

TonyF
20-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Hmm, I'm thinking of going the other way, ADSL > Cable, have always been against paying good money for a crappy modem though. I'd be interested in any replies as well.

How do you find the service and connection otherwise?
Cable speeds quite steady. Motorola modem works perfectly. No problems ....

plod
20-04-2005, 05:06 PM
well murray totally satisfied with connection.Doesn't seem to matter what time of day i am on it speed seems to be pretty even.If somebody would like to post a link for line speed test i would be happy to post it.
I also believe xtra and paradise calculate national traffic differently.
xtra is 1meg national is the same as 1 meg international
paradises national is calculated as a percentage of internatinal

MasturJeff
20-04-2005, 10:21 PM
I would get a linksys cable modem, my brother has one, and it's NEVER had to timeout before. Not to mention he uses a linksys router with his roomate, and the play ps2 online games everyday... they have 2 ps2s, 2 pcs, and an x-box connected to the router.

plod
20-04-2005, 10:36 PM
have been told i am only to use equipment they supply and while been forced to hire it off them not ready to invest more money

Edward
20-04-2005, 10:56 PM
I'm connected to ADSL and find it very good. Except for the fact Telecom haven't given us a full 2mbit yet, so stuck at 300k until they get round to provisioning us :annoyed:

Murray P
20-04-2005, 11:14 PM
have been told i am only to use equipment they supply and while been forced to hire it off them not ready to invest more money

Thats the bit right there that has prevented me moving over. Sonny boy wants it for his gaming, 128kbs and really lousy pings have him fretting, but not willing to stump up with modem rental or work in kind ;)

It'll be fun making a router though.

plod
20-04-2005, 11:47 PM
well every time i ring paradise up complaining about there policy(about every 2 months)the tech on the other end keeps on telling me they are reviewing there policy and hope to have it sorted out in the near future(18 months later)still no luck
I have even asked for a free rental period for a while but nout

smokenz
21-04-2005, 11:47 AM
I would say cable is better, but it really depends on what sort of cable you are using. We have fibre and i get about 3ms pings time my ISP, get about 40ms pings to Australia. Free national traffic, and 10gb international for $299 a month. This is a business plan however. A basic 4mb download/upload. So it would be excellent for gaming. I have never used it for gaming however as yeah I'm at work working, haha.

I have ADSL at home, and I think for what it is it's not too bad, although I would prefer a good wireless or cable connection over it. I get about 45ms ping times to Xtra, which isn't too bad I think seeing I live far from exchange in a poor area ( saving for a house, haha). I have a 1mb/128 xtra plan with 1gb limit. Always go over the 1gb limit and never get throttled. I have managed to have 3 xboxs connected to my router playing xbox live, and my gf using my laptop on the net with this connection and it has been fine. The games actually had no lag but I think that comes down to MS advanced game choosing stuff which helps minimise lag and shares the information throughout the network and then only uses one connection to live, although each xbox connected individually to live.

But anyway, sorry about the ramble.

I would choose Cable over ADSL, but I can understand your frustration at being charged for excess traffic instead of being throttled back.

And just for the hell of it

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

U:\>ping www.telecom.co.nz

Pinging www.telecom.co.nz [146.171.18.242] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 146.171.18.242: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=239
Reply from 146.171.18.242: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=239
Reply from 146.171.18.242: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=239
Reply from 146.171.18.242: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=239

Ping statistics for 146.171.18.242:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 21ms

U:\>

not bad seeing I'm pinging from an ISP that is not related to Telecom by anyway, so has to change between network formats etc.

smokenz

Mirddes
25-04-2005, 02:06 PM
paradises national is calculated as a percentage of internatinal

i beleive its 10% 1GB=102MB