PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem

dzina
20-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi All,
I have a small problem - I have a HDD that has had a partition copied over from another HDD using partition magic 8 (copy partition). The system will not boot on the new HDD. The problem is we need to retire the original HDD and transfer all settings and data etc to new HDD. Donít want to format and reinstall (just not an option). I know Ghost would be the go but donít know how to use it (i do have a copy somewhere).
I have all the data copied over onto the new drive but get the invalid system disk when I try to boot on it. I can access the recovery consol but donít know what I need to "do' to get the system files on the new HDD. In Win 9x I would have sys'ed the disk but donít know the command for XP Home on NTFS.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2005, 02:28 PM
A disk isnt in the floppy is it?? Which isnt a system disk?

Change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the hdd u copied the files to then see if it boots.

dzina
20-04-2005, 02:31 PM
No floppy in drive. Only new HDD connected and set as master drive. BIOS only sees the correct (new) HDD.

Murray P
20-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Make sure you boot order is set to boot from CDROM first. Pop the XP CD in and boot up, go through the usual CD start up and choose R for repair, manual, at the console (DOS type white on black screen) type: "Fixmbr" (sans quotes) y > Enter to confirm, repeat for "fixboot". Reboot without the CD in the drive and see how you get on.

pctek
20-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Ghost is easy.
Boot up with a boot disk, then type ghost.exe.
Choose Local - disk - to disk

It asks which will be the source drive and which the destination - choose correctly and thats it.

dzina
20-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi Murray,

Wen i do the fixmbr command it gives a warning about it appearing to have a non-standard or invalid MBR. But says it has competed the task (when told to carry on). The fixboot goes fine. When i reboot it stop at the verifying DMI pool data and goes no further. Looks like a normal boot until it just stops there.

Murray P
20-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Is the new disk actually a new disk, can you confirm it's integrity. Has it been formatted in a PC previously. Did you reformat before swapping your data over?

How about trying a Repair of the current installation by installing over the top, any issues with that?

Agent_24
21-04-2005, 01:32 AM
never used partition magic, but done a few clones with ghost and they have been all fine. I suggest you use that.