PDA

View Full Version : PCI Express questions

hugeaction
20-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi
I want to add firewire to my computer via a pci card. However the only available slot is a pci express x1 slot.
A couple of basic questions

1. Can I add a standard pci card to pci express x1 slot?

2. If not, can you buy pci express firewire cards?

Thanks in advance for your help

pctek
20-04-2005, 11:13 AM
1) No
2) Don't think they would be available yet.

Edward
20-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Do you have any normal PCI slots at all? If they're occupied, what are they? You can get cards that do two or more things instead of 2 cards doing seperate things.

hugeaction
20-04-2005, 12:01 PM
thanks for your prompt answers.
I have 2 pci slots they currently have a modem and a sound card in them.
What are the best options for cards that do 2 or more things?

pctek
20-04-2005, 12:25 PM
You have a PCI-E motherboard - are you sure you don't already have firewire? Mine does. Its just one little port next to the onboard USB ports - most of the new boards do have it.
Also - why firewire especially - USB should do?

hugeaction
20-04-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm fairly sure I don't have firewire, will double check.
I want firewire to connect my digital video camera. My understanding is that you need firewire to transfer digital video footage.

Edward
20-04-2005, 01:44 PM
You don't need firewire, it's just prefered. You may be able to use USB 2 if the camera supports it. Consult the manual

Metla
20-04-2005, 01:55 PM
We have discussed this before and as yet I have never seen anyone claiming to be able to get full resolution high quality capture via a usb2 port.

I know from the 3 or 4 DV camera's I have used on a multiple of computers the capture was limited to mpeg1 when done through the usb2 port,with no way I could find to over ride it.

In each case I used different cameras,different computers and a number of different software applications.

Thats not to say my experiences prove anything apart from the fact I was unable to capture full quality via USB2, I remain interested to hear if anyone has done so,and what camera and software was used.

Untill then I would consider Firewire not only the preferred method but the only method that doesn't suck. :rolleyes:

Oggy
02-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Sorry for dredging up an old thread but I have exactly the same problem as Hugeaction. I've PMd him to find out if it was resolved but does anyone else have anything new to contribute?
I need firewire for a digital camcorder. No argument here ... usb does not do it.
Unfortunately both pci slots are used (sound card and modem) but a PCI Express x1 card slot is free.
What I'm hoping is that a firewire card that goes into the PCIe x1 will come along. Don't seem to be in NZ yet but I did see one on a website from the States (see here) http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=14&pid=999
Either that or get a modem on a PCIe x1 card and put that there and my firewire card in the normal pci slot. Can anyone offer any hope with either of these ideas?
Cheers

Metla
02-08-2005, 10:21 PM
you can get sound cards with firewire ports in them.......

hugeaction
03-08-2005, 10:19 AM
The way I got round it was to remove the sound card and use the onboard sound. Not ideal but it solved the problem. Also as Metla suggests you can also get sound cards with firewire ports on them.

Oggy
03-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Cheers Hugeaction. I've PMd you this morning.

I may just remove the modem card freeing up the PCI slot and get an external modem ... or see if I can get a PCIe X1 card with a modem (or firewire as I thought initially)